Two people who were injured after a double stabbing at a north London hospital were attacked with an axe-type weapon, police have said.

Armed officers were among those who raced to Central Middlesex Hospital at 1.18pm on Wednesday (June 21) to reports of a stabbing.

Two men, both believed to be contracted hospital staff and aged in their 40s, were found with stab injuries.

Police now say they believe they were both attacked with a mattock, a pickaxe-type weapon.

It was initially thought that one of the victims had life-threatening injuries. Police have now said that neither man is in a life-threatening condition, although one may have life-changing injuries.

A police spokesperson said that “both continue to receive treatment in hospital and their next of kin are aware”.

Outside the hospital, police arrested a man, also believed to be contracted hospital staff and aged in his 40s, on suspicion of two counts of attempted murder.

He was immediately rushed to hospital after sustaining injuries believed to have been self-inflicted.

After his condition was assessed as not life-threatening, he was discharged from hospital and released into police custody.

He has subsequently been arrested on suspicion of a third count of attempted murder, as well as on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and affray.

Police said that a third victim was fortunate not to have sustained any injuries.

Detective Superintendent Will Lexton-Jones, acting commander for policing in Brent, said: "This is a shocking incident that of course will have been incredibly distressing for hospital staff, and those attending and visiting others.

“Our NHS colleagues acted quickly, and with incredible courage, to report the incident and lock the hospital down to ensure the safety of their patients.

“Our officers – armed and unarmed – responded within minutes and entered the building without a second thought for their own safety, not knowing at the time exactly what they were dealing with.

"While our enquiries are ongoing, I can say that both the suspect and victims are contracted hospital staff who are known to each other.

“We are satisfied that no one else is sought in connection, there were no reported injuries to any patients or visitors.

"We continue to establish exactly what happened and any witnesses are urged to come forward."

Police added that the incident is not being treated as terror-related.

Witnesses are urged to call 101 or tweet @MetCC, quoting reference CAD 3804/21 Jun.