A deep fat fryer has been blamed for a takeaway fire that caused smoke to billow out into the street.

Firefighters were called to Dyne Road at around 4.15pm yesterday evening (February 21) after receiving 17 calls about the blaze.

Most of a ground floor takeaway was damaged in the blaze as well as the shop’s ducting.

People were advised to avoid the area, including Kilburn High Road, while around 30 firefighters tackled the blaze.

The incident was declared over for London Fire Brigade (LFB) crews just after 5.15pm.

A deep fat fryer is believed to have caused the fire, which a LFB spokesperson described as “accidental”.

They added: "Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire.

“Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil and make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil – oil and water are a dangerous mix.

“If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot so turn off the heat and leave it to cool.

“We also advise using an electronic deep fat fryer if possible – they have automatic temperature controls, and are much safer.

"It's also really important to keep the hob, cooker hood and extractor fan clean too – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire."

Five fire engines from West Hampstead, Willesden, Paddington and North Kensington fire stations attended the scene.