Wealdstone boss Maynard pleased with positive start in Stockport County defeat
- Credit: Jon Taffel
Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard pleased with the positive start as they suffered yet another heavy defeat to promotion chasing Stockport County.
An Alex Reid brace and goals from Ryan Crossdale and John Rooney sealed the three points for Stockport after playing out a goalless first-half.
It was a sixth defeat in a row for Maynard’s men as they continue to struggle on through until the end of the season with a number of players furloughed.
"It's not a positive result but it's a positive performance. We had a brilliant first half where we stuck to the game plan and matched and frustrated Stockport,” Maynard said.
“Then we concede two sloppy goals and give ourselves a mountain to climb and the two goals at the end we had the tired legs, we lost two members of our squad on Saturday with injury so the lads out there today gave their all.
You may also want to watch:
"I think if we kept it at 1-0 and kept ourselves in the game that we would've had a go in those last 10 minutes and not concede those goals because we'd be going off the adrenaline in having something to play for.
“It's a shame for their first goal too as Jake's (Jake Askew) made two fantastic saves before that and we couldn't deal with it.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Residents priced out the area they grew up in
- 8 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 9 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 10 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
"But Stockport are a fantastic side, they showed their quality again today and the options they had even on their bench showed how good they are.”
Academy products Eli Hearn and Tecane Shrowder both featured in the match much to the delight of boss Maynard.
“It was good to see another academy prospect in Tecane get his debut and also have Eli add another National League appearance, it's a credit to themselves and the youth system here at the club for how hard they are all working."
Wealdstone will now face in-form Dagenham & Redbridge at home on Saturday as they look to end their poor run of form.
Daryl McMahon’s Daggers however have won five consecutive matches and are slowly climbing up the National League table.