Theophane to feature in build-up to Ricky Burns fight
Ashley Theophane is back in Britain this week to spar with world lightweight champion Ricky Burns following Friday’s successful comeback against Ronnie Warrior.
Theophane, who was making his first return to the ring since he lost his British light-welterweight title to Darren Hamilton in May, recorded a comfortable points win in Charlotte, North Carolina.
And the Kilburn fighter, 32, immediately flew back across the Atlantic to join up with Burns, who is preparing to defend his WBO crown against Kevin Mitchell next month.
Theophane was never troubled by his opponent’s southpaw style, displaying superior skill and speed to take an 80-72 decision on the scorecards of all three judges.
Former Dale Youth ABC star Steve O’Meara will be back in action next month in a six-round contest at York Hall.
You may also want to watch:
O’Meara, who has not fought since his first-round knockout of Nathan Weise last year, will face an opponent yet to be named on Friday September 14.
- 1 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 2 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 3 Wealdstone thrashed by league leaders Hartlepool United
- 4 Warburton: Dieng played on with broken nose before red card
- 5 QPR move into top 10 with win at Middlesbrough despite Dieng dismissal
- 6 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 7 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 8 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 9 Mixed feelings for residents and workers as crowds return to Wembley
- 10 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden