Rugby Union: Kilburn Cosmos under-13s cruise to fine win at Bishops Stortford

PUBLISHED: 17:00 15 March 2018

The rugby union season is well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

The rugby union season is well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Kilburn Cosmos under-13s enjoyed a fine 4-1 win on their trip to Bishops Stortford.

The first half started steadily for both sides as they sized each other up. At this point scrums were pretty even, but Cosmos were playing all of the game in their opponents half.

It was Kilburn’s speed at the breakdown which proved the difference. The penalties against Stortford mounted, but although the advantage was with Cosmos, they failed to capitalise as their passing game misfired time and time again.

Midway through the first half after some typically good work by Nico Motta, the ball found its way into the hands of Tiarnan O’Mongain, who charged the 20 metres to score.

Stortford came back though with a well worked try scoring in the corner through their winger.

Kilburn’s dominance at the ruck, and especially in the counter–ruck, proved the difference in the second half as possession remained firmly with Cosmos.

Frustrated by the poor passing from the penalties and the breakdown, Toby Moss moved to the wing to be replaced by Artus Ribadeau.

The better delivery gave Cosmos the platform they were lacking and with quick ball, Oscar Clark put the team ahead with an unopposed run down the right wing.

Another penalty was awarded to Kilburn after Stortford were judged to be holding on after the tackle.

Jack Eveleigh drew four tacklers with his charge towards the 22, and a well-presented ball gave the team the space needed for Mac Duffy to return to his scoring ways.

The final say went to Cosmos as Aurelien Lustro playing, at fly half kicked into space on the opposition 22.

A terrific follow up by Lewis Harrison, supported by Clark, gave Kilburn the opportunity to move the ball through the hands to Moss, who brilliantly kept the ball in play.

Moss motored down the touchline, allowing O’Mongain to pick up and score his second try of the day.

Unfortunately during this phase of play, loosehead prop Jack Mangan received a shoulder injury and had to go off.

With no replacements we finished the match with uncontested scrums.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists