Rugby Union: Hendon climb table despite loss at Watford in Herts/Middlesex One

PUBLISHED: 16:00 09 April 2018

The rugby union season is well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

The rugby union season is well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Herts/Middlesex One: Watford 25 Hendon 20

Hendon moved above rivals UCS Old Boys in the Herts/Middlesex One table, despite losing 25-20 at Watford.

The visitors took an early lead from the kick-off in a move that began with JP Cremin feeding TJ O’Sullivan on the 10-metre line.

O’Sullivan then broke through two defenders and though he tackled on the five-metre line, he wasn’t held and the Hendon man dived in for a first minute try that went unconverted.

Watford drew level after 10 minutes with poor defending from the visitors allowing the hosts in at the corner for an unconverted try.

After a spell of midfield play and with Hendon conceding several penalties, Watford ran in another score on 20 minutes.

A similar move on the half hour then put the visitors further on the back foot as the hosts held a 15-5 lead.

Another penalty gave Watford the advantage with a five-metre scrum pushing Hendon back to score again to make it 20-5 to the hosts at the break.

Hendon changed their attack in the second half, which allowed the backs to create space.

In the 50th minute, wing Morayo Animashaun showed his pace with a run from halfway to score an excellent try, though again it went unconverted with regular kicker Hynes out injured Hendon’s Dan Watterson was now punching holes in the Watford defence and though stopped short, he set up a maul for Donal O’Sullivan to score a pushover try, also unconverted.

Momentum was now with the visitors, but a lapse from in concentration allowed Watford to score in the corner and make it 25-15 in the 65th minute.

Chris Kiyingi set up the next Hendon attack with a run through the midfield, but stopped short by a high tackle, with the referee awarding a penalty.

Toby Ikwueke kicked to the corner and from the lineout, the visitors’ maul went over for TJ O’Sullivan to claim that made it a five-point game with five minutes to go.

For the remainder of the match, Hendon were camped in the Watford 22, but valiant defence kept the visitors from scoring again.

Despite losing, Hendon collected two bonus points in defeat, which was enough to move them above UCS in the standings.

Hendon visit Staines in their final league match of the season on Saturday

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists