Rampant Kilburn Cosmos hammer Haringey Rhinos

PUBLISHED: 07:00 02 October 2013

Andy Hutt

Andy Hutt


Herts/ Middlesex 1

Kilburn Cosmos 69

Haringey Rhinos 3

Kilburn Cosmos brushed aside Haringey Rhinos in a convincing win to maintain their winning start and position at the top of the table.

The emphatic result leaves Cosmos four points clear of second- placed Old Actonians after they crossed the line 11 times, having secured the four-try bonus point within half an hour.

Wasting little time, Cosmos backs Mo Taguri and Jon Green touched down to give Kilburn an early advantage before Tom Armer forced a penalty for Haringey to snatch back three points.

That would be the sum total of Rhinos’ response though, as full-back Dusty Hall added two tries to take Kilburn’s haul to four tries inside half an hour.

The forwards then forced their way onto the scoresheet with second row John Fenlon and Kilburn’s No8 both going over for tries before half-time – and the scoring was unrelenting as Cosmos added to their tally after the restart.

Dominating possession and only losing the ball to opposition punts into their own half, further tries from Andrew Brotherston, Peter Fitzsimmons, Shayne White, two from Andy Hutt and George Brooke’s seven conversions eased Cosmos to victory by a 66-point margin.

First-team coach Hutt said: “I’m delighted with the progress made over the summer and the fact that what we are training on during the week has been taken on board by the guys, who have really delivered on the pitch this season.

“Particular credit is due to our starting tight five of Kane Edgeworth, Peter Fitzsimmons, Dan Marshall, John Fenlon and Andrew Brotherston, who exerted such a pressure on the opposition pack that they never had a chance of getting into the game.”

The Cosmos travel to Old Actonians on Saturday, the team sitting one place and four points behind Kilburn.

Elsewhere, Kilburn Cosmos’ B side were denied three tries by the referee’s whistle in a game that was plain sailing for British Airways, who cruised to a 20-0 win.

Entering the tie as favourites, having finished higher in the league last season, BA dominated as Kilburn lost 15 points in the opening 10 minutes.

Kilburn tightened the reins and conceded only five more points before the finish. However, they were denied a route back into the game on three occasions by the referee.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times