Old Streetonians 18-24 Kilburn Cosmos: Visitors survive scare to maintain 100 per cent record

PUBLISHED: 13:00 20 January 2016

Fraser Hutt was in good form as Kilburn Cosmos secured a hard-fought win on the road (Pic: Paolo Minoli)

Fraser Hutt was in good form as Kilburn Cosmos secured a hard-fought win on the road (Pic: Paolo Minoli)


Kilburn Cosmos survived a scare against Old Streetonians to maintain their impressive 100 per cent winning record this season – their 13th straight victory.

Having beaten the same opposition 27-0 earlier in the season, the Cosmos were in confident spirits ahead of the trip.

Kilburn started slowly with the hosts taking full advantage, as they showed huge improvements from their thrashing earlier in the season.

Andy Hutt’s men committed too many men to the driving maul, leaving them short in midfield and allowing Old Street to go 7-0 up – the first time Cosmos had fallen behind this season.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors shortly after as Old Street went over the line again, but failed to make the conversion, limiting the score to 12-0.

Kilburn finally managed to tighten up and after exchanging a penalty each, the score stood at 15-3 at half-time, giving the Cosmos plenty of hard work to do after the break.

Stern words were exchanged at the interval with three changes made, as Phil Cooke, Dan Marshall and Obi Ajufo entered the fray.

It was substitute Ajufo who sparked the start of the comeback as he ran over the top of three defenders and covered 30 yards to go over in spectacular fashion and after Fraser Hutt had converted, Kilburn were right back in the game.

The Cosmos were a different side after this; keeping Old Street on the back foot and exposing gaps in their defence, which led to a try from player-coach Hutt – converted by brother Fraser – as Kilburn led for the first time in the contest.

Kilburn almost threw their hard work away as they started repeating the errors they had been making in the first half and after conceding another penalty, Old Street were back in front.

However, the comeback was finally complete with another sub making a huge difference as Cooke strolled in under the posts and after the extras were applied, Kilburn had claimed a hard-fought 24-18 victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times