Kilburn Cosmos Ladies cling on to defeat Sutton

PUBLISHED: 17:32 10 April 2013

Elaine Macdonald (holding ball) in action against Sutton

Elaine Macdonald (holding ball) in action against Sutton


Jasmin Bruce scored a try on her first home appearance for Kilburn Cosmos Ladies as they held off Sutton & Epsom to triumph 27-22 in a hard-fought encounter.

Kilburn stormed out of the blocks at Gladstone Park, opening the scoring through Alice Thompson within five minutes of kick-off.

Fidelma Meenaghan added the home side’s only successful conversion of the game – and extended their advantage two minutes later by putting a second try over the line.

Sutton fought back with a converted try – and the Cosmos’ rhythm was disrupted soon afterwards when Laura Shelton-Smith and Michelle McAndrew had to go off after clashing heads.

Cosmos player-manager Jenny Reeve filled the gap in the back line and, by the time she was able to return to her regular position at lock, Sutton had added their second score of the game.

However, Bruce’s try ensured that Kilburn took the lead into half-time – and that ultimately proved to be vital as both teams scored twice in the second period.

Shelton-Smith returned to the field with her head bandaged, while Idil Adil and fly-half Elaine Macdonald both crossed the line and, despite Sutton’s brace of tries, the Cosmos clung on for victory.

Meanwhile, Kilburn’s men’s team completed their last home fixture of the season in style, with player-coach Andy Hutt running in four tries as they crushed struggling Old Grammarians 95-5 at Gladstone Park.

Fraser Hutt set up his brother to open the scoring with a well-executed training ground move and it was a one-sided affair after that.

Andrew Brotherston, John Fenlon and Niall Coughlan all went over, while Jon Green and Fenlon both ran in from the halfway line.

George Brooke’s solid kicking ensured that the Cosmos led 38-0 at half-time and there was no let-up after the break as Fraser Hutt and Neville Marshall both went over and man of the match Dusty Hall added a brace.

Andy Hutt took his tally to three before Brooke darted over the line and, although Grammarians finally got on the scoresheet, Fraser and Andy Hutt added further tries to complete the rout.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times