QPR sign Sam McCallum on loan from Norwich City
- Credit: PA
Sam McCallum has joined QPR on a season-long loan deal from Norwich City.
The 20-year-old defender signed for the Canaries from Coventry City 18 months ago before being loaned back to the Sky Blues.
McCallum made 41 Championship appearances for Mark Robins’ team last term, and now he is looking forward to spending the 2021/22 campaign with the R’s.
“I’m proper excited to get going,” he said. “I can’t wait to meet the boys and get out on the training pitch.”
McCallum played as a left wingback for much of the 2020/21 season with Coventry, and he says the move to QPR, where we successfully played with wingbacks last term, was one he was immediately keen on.
You may also want to watch:
“When QPR requested the loan it was straight away a no brainer,” he explained. “This is a massive club.”
Describing himself as an athletic player, McCallum – who was signed by Premier League Norwich barely a year after making his professional debut at Coventry – said: “I am quite an athletic wingback, obviously you need to be these days.
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 7 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 10 Kilburn residents forced to flee homes after flash floods
“I like getting up and down the wing, and providing width for the team.”
As for his targets while he is with QPR, McCallum explained: “I want to get some game time but I know I will have healthy competition here from Lee Wallace.
“I am fit and ready to go – I just can’t wait to get started.”
Mark Warburton is delighted with the loan arrival of McCallum. He said: “I am really pleased we have been able to bring Sam in.
“He showed his undoubted quality in the Championship last season with Coventry. He brings real ability and will add competition to the squad which is so important.
“He also understands the wingback role, he has an attacking instinct, great physicality and is aerially very strong as well.
“Sam is a player who can have an impact in both boxes, and I am looking forward to working with him.”