Ola Afolabi left frustrated as Huck retains world title
PUBLISHED: 12:59 12 June 2013 | UPDATED: 13:17 12 June 2013
2009 Getty Images
Ola Afolabi was left to rue a ‘ridiculous’ judge’s decision as the Wembley-born fighter was again denied victory against Marco Huck in the WBO world cruiserweight title fight on Saturday,
Judge Lahcen Oumghar scored the contest a 114-114 draw at Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, but Deon Dwarte scored in favour of Huck 115-113, as did John Madfis 117-111, invoking the disgust of Afolabi.
In his third fight with Huck - having drawn with the Serb last year and lost to him in 2009 – Afolabi produced a late flurry, but it was in vain as the Berlin-based Huck deservedly retained his mantle for the 11th successive time to condemn the Afolabi to his third defeat in 26 professional outings.
“I blocked a lot of shots but he [Huck] just wouldn’t stop going and the best man won,” said Afolabi, who is based in Los Angeles. “He did a good job and was aggressive. His style will always give me problems, he threw a lot of shots and he wouldn’t stop going.
“The 117-111 decision was ridiculous. Even if they give it to him then he [Madfis] should have given it to him by one point.
“The scoring was a hometown decision so that’s what you expect. I tried my best – the judges saw it one way so whatever they say stays. But I believe the 114-114 score was the true reflection of the fight.”
Afolabi is looking to the future and another world title shot, but knows he will have to get back to winning ways before he can land himself another title tilt.
“I just want to work myself up again then see what happens, there are other big names I can fight so whatever K2 [Promotions] says goes,” Afolabi continues.
“I just have to go back to the gym and work more on my skills but I’m getting better all the time, comparing where I was eight years ago I am truly proud of myself.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.