Night to remember as Hendon open new home with nine-goal thriller against QPR Under-21s
- Credit: Archant
Hendon officially opened their new ground at Silver Jubilee Park on Monday as the Ryman League Premier Division side embark on an exciting new chapter in their history.
The turn-out was impressive on a sweltering night, with 423 people watching the Greens take on a QPR Under-21 side in Kingsbury.
The visitors eventually edged out Gary McCann’s side 5-4 in a thrilling contest, which will give the Greens boss plenty of optimism ahead of the new season, which starts on August 13.
Former Hendon loanee Brandon Adams gave the Rs the lead after just eight seconds, and Niko Hamalainen doubled the advantage just before the midway point in the first half.
Within a minute, Niko Muir had reduced the arrears though, and summer signing Spencer McCall then scored with a fine curling effort to get the hosts back on level terms heading into the interval.
You may also want to watch:
QPR restored their two-goal lead early in the second half with strikes from Reece Grego-Cox and Adams, but McCann’s men refused to cave in and Omar Vassell reduced the deficit after the hour-mark.
Dan Darbyshire scored again for the visitors with 15 minutes remaining to make it 5-3. However, Andre Da Costa found the net with one of his trademark free-kicks to set up a grandstand finish – and Kezie Ibe was denied a dramatic equaliser in stoppage time when he hit the post.
- 1 Two teenagers stabbed in Kilburn and South Hampstead in separate attacks
- 2 Wembley Park drug dealer who used encrypted phone network jailed
- 3 Harlesden actor writes first film and hopes to inspire young people
- 4 Police continue Wembley murder investigation after footage emerges
- 5 Two arrested after man survives being stabbed in Wembley
- 6 Gun shot at wall during 'terrifying' burglary in Wembley
- 7 Willesden landlord fined more than £700,000 for 'poor quality housing'
- 8 Wembley 16-year-old driven at and chased before fatal stabbing
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teen fatally stabbed in Wembley
- 10 Bailed: Four men arrested in connection with Sven Badzak killing in Kilburn
McCann said: “I thought we gave a fantastic account of ourselves on a night where so many people came out to support the club, and long may that continue.
“We’re looking really solid heading into the new season, and there were plenty of positives for me to take from this game.”
Hendon chairman Simon Lawrence added: “It’s fantastic to be somewhere now which we can finally call home.
“It’s been a long time coming and a lot of hard work has gone into this but we are here now.”