George Groves: I can still beat anybody in the super middleweight division
PUBLISHED: 14:15 23 December 2015 | UPDATED: 14:15 23 December 2015
©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468
Former Dale Youth ABC star George Groves maintains he has the beating of all four super middleweight champions, despite losing three consecutive world title fights.
Groves has been stopped twice by arch rival Carl Froch, before losing out on a first title in Las Vegas on a split decision defeat to Badou Jack in September.
After that the 27-year-old considered retirement, but the ‘Saint’ - who returns to the ring on January 30 against Andrea Di Lusa at the Copper Box Arena - has now rediscovered his self belief and is determined to reach the top.
Groves says he fears no-one, not least double world champion and Olympic gold medalist James DeGale - who he has beaten on two occasions in the past - once at amatuer and senior level.
He said: “It’s annoying because if you went through the list of the four champions James would probably be up there as one of the best.
“But then he’s the one I’ve beaten, he’s only lost once and it was to me. Badou Jack is a better fighter than anyone gave him credit for but I still think I’m better than him.
“Other than that, I think I’d beat [WBO champion] Arthur Abraham easily and I think [WBA champion] Fedor Chudinov is technically decent and very strong looking but there to be outboxed.
“I think when you look at the world champions, I think I can beat them all. I’ve lost to one and I’ve also beaten one.”
In other news, Hooks ABC’s Nathan Brown will compete in his first senior bout when he takes on Sunderland’s Kieran McDonald at York Hall on January 24.
The 18-year-old has been nominated to compete for the vacant English light flyweight belt after securing a first youth title earlier this month in Croydon after beating Ibrahim Khan.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.