Wingate & Finchley thwarted as Angol heads late equaliser for Hendon

PUBLISHED: 23:40 26 August 2013 | UPDATED: 23:40 26 August 2013

Leon Smith was on target for Wingate against Hendon on Monday

Leon Smith was on target for Wingate against Hendon on Monday

Martin Addison

Ryman League Premier Division: Hendon 1 Wingate & Finchley 1

Hendon picked up their first point since the opening day of the season as Lee Angol scored in injury-time to deny Wingate & Finchley the derby spoils on Bank Holiday Monday.

Leon Smith had appeared to have won all three points for the visitors, rifling in with just four minutes remaining, but Angol converted header at the death to preserve a point.

It was Hendon’s first Ryman League Premier Division point at Earlsmead – their new home for the season after the lease at Vale Farm expired – and manager Gary McCann conceded that his side are struggling to adapt to unfamiliar surroundings.

“There is no doubt that that is a factor,” McCann said. “It is not a home ground at the moment, it doesn’t feel like home. It’s like we have played six away games.

“Vale Farm was starting to feel like home, we had been there for three years. We have to start making Earlsmead a fortress, and at the moment we aren’t quite doing that with our performances. But we will take the positives from this result.

“One positive I take out is that when they did score we didn’t just fold. We kept going, prodding and probing and trying to do the right things, and we got our rewards.

“We go right to the death, it’s what my teams are built on. Maybe we have not had enough of that, there are a lot of players trying to make their mark. Did we deserve a point? Maybe not.”

Wingate enjoyed the better of the first half on a warm, sultry afternoon. David Laird came close in the second minute, curling a shot just wide of Charlie Horlock’s post.

A Hendon attack which was broken up almost led to the opening goal; Tommy Tejan-Sie leading a break and setting up Leon Smith, who smashed a shot against the crossbar.

Hendon responded with Jefferson Louis forcing a good save from Bobby Smith, before Dave Diedhiou was off-target from close range in the last minutes of the first half.

The hosts were sloppy in the second half, and it was Wingate who looked the likelier to score. Leon Smith was the chief threat, but on two occasions he was denied by Hendon’s teenage keeper Charlie Horlock, who enjoyed an impressive afternoon between the posts.

Junior Morias volleyed wide for the Greens, before Wingate opened the scoring with a fine goal. Dean Mason set up Leon Smith, and he controlled the ball before driving a shot into the roof of the net to give Daniel Nielsen’s side the lead.

However, in the third of five added minutes, a beautifully-weighted cross from Murray was glanced in by Angol, the ball nestling just inside the far post.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times