Wells digs deep to round off Gibbons Wreckers revival

PUBLISHED: 17:03 09 November 2011

Gibbons Wreckers u10s

Gibbons Wreckers u10s


Oran Wells hit a last-minute winner to complete an amazing comeback from 3-1 down and secure all three points for the Wreckers’ under-10s.

Belmont surged forward from the start and went ahead after just three minutes when a shot squirmed through the hands of Sean O’Donnell and crept across the line.

But GW responded almost immediately when Jay Hector curled a corner straight in for his first ever competitive goal and, with Corey O’Neill and Hanad Hassan holding firm at the other end, it remained 1-1 at half-time.

Belmont applied pressure at the start of the second half and regained the lead through a deflected goal, before extending their advantage on the counter-attack.

Striker Louis Williams slotted home to make it 3-2, and the Wreckers’ revival gathered pace when Williams levelled the scores following good build-up play from Kasey Clifford and Sekani Melford.

Wells was unlucky when his long-range effort cannoned back off the crossbar but, with just a minute remaining, Williams and Melford set him up to slide in the decisive goal.

Gibbons Wreckers: O’Donnell, O’Neill, Hassan, Clifford, Melford, Hector, Wells, McNeill, Oriakhi, Williams, Kurtaj.

Mohamed Bangura completed a hat-trick to seal victory for the Wreckers’ under-11s in their 6-4 thriller against title favourites Kodak FC.

GW started slowly, but Bangura opened the scoring on 10 minutes and then doubled his side’s lead, rounding the Kodak goalkeeper after a one-two with Thyago Mateus.

Daniel Paul headed home Alfie Cassidy’s corner to make it 3-0 and Cassidy got on the scoresheet himself before half-time with a powerful drive that the keeper could not prevent from crossing the line.

Kodak pulled a goal back after the break from the penalty spot following a handball by Geraldo Hysa, but Richard Figah delivered a superb cross for man of the match Jack Gorman to make it 5-1.

The GW back line, which Gorman and Darnell White had marshalled so well earlier in the game, then fell apart as Kodak netted three times in 15 minutes to set up a tense finale.

But Bangura eased the nerves in the Wreckers camp with five minutes remaining, completing his treble with a run and shot to make sure of the win.

Gibbons Wreckers: Gorman, Hysa, Figah, Costello, Hassan, Cassidy, Oheme, White, Bangura, Benahmed, Paul, Mateus, Ferreira.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times