Wealdstone held to draw by Hungerford

PUBLISHED: 10:00 08 August 2018 | UPDATED: 13:47 08 August 2018

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Vanarama National League South: Hungerford Town 1 Wealdstone 1

Wealdstone continued their unbeaten start to the new Vanarama National League South season with a 1-1 draw away to Hungerford Town.

David Pratt opened the scoring in the first half and from that the Stones enjoyed an array of efforts at the Crusaders’ goal, until Harvey Bradbury’s penalty 16 minutes from the end salvaged a point for the hosts.

The Stones began the match second in the table after their 4-1 opening day win over Weston-super-Mare, and Bobby Wilkinson made one change, a forced one with the injured Freddie Grant replaced by Jake Sheppard at left-back.

It was Wealdstone who almost took an early lead in a subdued first half when Danny Green’s 30-yard effort had to be automatically tipped over the crossbar by Jokull Andresson.

On 29 minutes, the Stones took the lead when Rhys Tyler, a summer signing from Hungerford, delivered a pinpoint cross for Pratt at the near post, his initial effort was saved by Andresson but he poked in the rebound immediately after.

Bradley Hudson-Odoi was next to test the keeper, Green beat his man and delivered a low cross to Wadah Ahmidi, he laid it off to Hudson-Odoi but Andresson denied well with his leg.

The Stones then flew out of the blocks after half time with Green orchestrating chances for Connor Stevens, Ahmidi and Pratt in the space of five minutes.

Hudson-Odoi then had two chances, the first he smashed over after being played in by Pratt and the second saw his free-kick deflect off Ian Herring and get cleared off the line by the Crusaders defence.

Hungerford were then awarded a penalty after Conor Lynch was brought down by Godfrey Poku. Bradbury stepped up and expertly dispatched low to Jonathan North’s right despite the keeper guessing the right way.

Within a minute the Stones were almost back in front when Hudson-Odoi hit a low cross to Ahmidi but Andresson was out quick to thwart it at the midfielder’s feet.

Despite the Stones dominance it was Hungerford who almost snatched a late winner when James Rusby’s cross was headed toward his own goal by Stevens and North produced a fine stop to tip it round the post.

Stones are back in action on Saturday when they make the trip to title favourites Billericay Town.

Wilkinson’s men won 5-2 away to the Blues in the FA Trophy quarter-finals last season and would love a similar result at the AGP Arena on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times