Wealdstone cruise to comfortable derby victory at Harrow Borough

PUBLISHED: 09:30 25 August 2013 | UPDATED: 09:44 25 August 2013

Wealdstone's players celebrate with their fans in yesterday's 2-0 win over Harrow Borough. Picture courtsey of Steve Foster/ Wealdstone FC

Wealdstone's players celebrate with their fans in yesterday's 2-0 win over Harrow Borough. Picture courtsey of Steve Foster/ Wealdstone FC

Copyright - © Steve Foster/Wealdstone FC 2013. You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is properly accredited.

Ryman League Premier Division: Harrow Borough 0 Wealdstone 2

Second-half goals from Chris Moore and Reece Grant sealed a derby victory for Wealdstone on Saturday and left Harrow Borough with early-season problems.

The Stones struck with two killer blows after an even first half at Earlsmead, as Gordon Bartlett’s side chalked up a victory which put them eighth in the table.

For Borough, meanwhile, alarm bells will be ringing after another disappointing display which left Dave Anderson’s side third from bottom.

It was, in truth, a result which many Harrow fans would have seen coming, after Wealdstone made a strong start. Inside the opening minutes, Harrow keeper Max Oberschmidt was forced into a fine save by Moore.

And the young German keeper was soon in action again, getting a fingertip to Elliot Godfrey’s drive, with Harrow having a let-off as the referee awarded a goal kick.

Borough did, at least, begin to cause problems. Simeon Akinola delayed his shot when he might have done better, had another effort blocked by Wealdstone keeper Jonathan North, and then headed Leroy Griffiths’ cross straight at North.

North denied Akinola again early in the second half, and that was the cue for a period of intense Wealdstone pressure. Jey Siva’s far-post effort was blocked, before McGleish headed over from a corner and Oberschmidt saved Siva’s free-kick.

A Wealdstone goal had appeared likely, and it arrived on the hour-mark. The Borough defence did well to block two efforts, but Moore latched on to the loose ball and drove a shot powerfully past Oberschmidt and into the net.

From then on, it was Wealdstone’s day. Moore was twice denied by Oberschmidt, while Dean had an acrobatic overhead effort blocked and then fired over the bar.

A rare Borough attack ended with Shaun Lucien letting rip with a fierce left-foot drive which North tipped over, but Wealdstone sealed victory inside the final 10 minutes.

On 83 minutes, Tom Pett forced another fine save from Oberschmidt, pushing his shot onto the crossbar, but substitute Grant was able to finish off to make it 2-0.

Harrow Borough will look to chalk up their first win in tomorrow’s trip to Metropolitan Police, while Wealdstone entertain Enfield Town, both games kicking off at 3pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times