Wealdstone continue to charge up table with Truro trip bringing a sixth straight win

PUBLISHED: 12:20 13 March 2017 | UPDATED: 12:20 13 March 2017

Sam Cox started as Wealdstone made it six straight wins in the National League South with a 2-1 win over Truro City. Picture: WEALDSTONE FC

Sam Cox started as Wealdstone made it six straight wins in the National League South with a 2-1 win over Truro City. Picture: WEALDSTONE FC


Wealdstone's remarkable resurgence continued in the Cornish mist at Treyew Road with a 2-1 win over Truro City.

The victory was another highly resolute performance on the road and means Stones have now gained maximum points from their last six National League South matches and are unbeaten in eight.

Five of those wins have come away from Grosvenor Vale and they now sit eighth in the league, just seven points from the play-offs with ninie games remaining.

Similar to previous performances this was not a pretty win but was all the more commendable with Stones having to field a patched-up side.

But a will to dig in, combined with fine teamwork all over the park, ensured that Wealdstone came through with goals from the ever-improving Joe White and Tom Hamblin.

Stones made a slow start to the contest with City pressing and gaining two early corners. But on 12 minutes Stones carved out a decent chance when the lively Aryan Tajbakhsh blazed a powerful strike just over the bar.

On 27 minutes Wes Parker dramatically headed a goal-bound strike off the line and within a minute Stones were ahead.

Good work from a clearance up field that was worked into midfield by Tajbakhsh and Ricky Wellard eventually found White who kept his head brilliantly, found space and fired the ball into the far corner.

Stones had further chances to add to their lead before half time but the away side were undone by an unfortunate defensive error a minute before the break.

From a City attack the ball wasn’t dealt with fully and when it came back into the danger area Ciaron Brown’s attempted clearance caught a bobble leaving space for Jamie Richards to rifle past Jonathan North.

Stones were on the back foot for much of the early period of the second period and North had to be alert to claw away a good chance for the White Tigers.

Tyler Harvey also went close for the home side but Wealdstone finally started to get a grip on the play late on.

Substitute Omar Koroma came on and this sparked some fresh attacking urgency from the away side. He crashed a header against the crossbar from a corner and then Stones struck with nine minutes left on the clock.

Another corner was fired in and Hamblin got down at the far post to bundle the ball in to huge celebrations from the players and the 100 fans who had made the long 260-mile trip to Cornwall.

Stones will face their toughest test by far next Saturday when they entertain play-off side Chelmsford City at The Vale.

Wealdstone: North, Parker, Brown, Mavilla, Hamblin, Godfrey, Green, Cox, White, Wellard, Tajbakhsh.

Subs (used): Wright, Koroma, McGleish

Subs (not used): Lafleur, Bonfield

Attendance: 411

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists