Wealdstone boss frustrated by Margate’s smash-and-grab victory

PUBLISHED: 08:00 06 October 2013

Wealdstone's Scott McGleish. Pic courtesy of Steve Foster/ Wealdstone FC

Wealdstone's Scott McGleish. Pic courtesy of Steve Foster/ Wealdstone FC

Copyright - © Steve Foster/Wealdstone FC 2013. You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is properly accredited.

Ryman League Premier Division:
Wealdstone 0
Margate 1

Wealdstone manager Gordon Bartlett was left frustrated by his side’s lack of cutting edge as they lost their first game of the season at home to Margate on Saturday.

Charles Ademano hit the visitors’ winner with just two minutes on the clock, and Wealdstone, despite dominating the rest of the match, couldn’t find a reply.

The result ended Stones’ impressive 11-game unbeaten run, leaving them fifth in the Premier Division table, and Bartlett cut an exasperated figure.

“We dominated without creating too much. If the game was done on possession and territorial advantage, we’d have won easily,” said Bartlett “But it’s not – it’s about sticking the ball in the net and we didn’t create enough opportunities.

“Frustration was the biggest thing – we tried to play a pass that wasn’t on, or gave the ball away and allowed them to break. If we’d got outplayed by the opposition, you could be worried, but we didn’t.”

Wealdstone now turn their attention away from the league, with Monday’s league cup match with Hendon followed by a trip to Hornchurch in the FA Cup next weekend.

And Bartlett demanded a response from his team. He added: “It’s back to the drawing board. We’ve lost one and now we go about our business in the same way and try and go on another unbeaten run if we possibly can.”

He will not want a repeat of Wealdstone’s sluggish start against Margate, which brought the decisive early goal. Loose defending from a corner allowed Ademano to flick the ball past Jonathan North at the near post.

Things might have got worse, as Wealdstone seemed paralysed by indecision and hesitancy. Phil Walsh found space to head powerfully towards goal, but the ball rebounded off the woodwork and was cleared to safety.

Wealdstone gradually worked their way into the contest, Tom Pett and Chris Moore wasting half-chances, but Scott McGleish also causing the visitors problems.

Midfielder Glen Little, returning to the side after three weeks out, was below-par, and just before half-time McGleish sent an effort well clear of the crossbar.

The home side improved considerably in the second half, launching sustained bouts of attacking football, but were frustrated by the stubborn visiting defence.

Another opportunity fell to McGleish, the forward attempting to lob keeper Craig Holloway with 15 minutes to go, but he stumbled at the crucial moment.

Shortly afterwards, Pett shot wide from substitute Peter Dean’s through-ball, and that was the last chance as Wealdstone’s unbeaten run came to a disappointing end.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times