Wealdstone 3 East Thurrock United 0: Stones end losing run with comfortable win over Rocks

PUBLISHED: 13:00 24 April 2018

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Vanarama National League South: Wealdstone 3 East Thurrock United 0

Wealdstone ended a run of four games without a win after comfortably beating East Thurrock United 3-0 at Grosvenor Vale.

First half goals from Bradley Bubb, Ricky Wellard and Jeffrey Monakana put the Stones in control of the match as Wealdstone moved up into the top half of the league in eleventh.

Stones boss Bobby Wilkinson made three changes to the side that drew 4-4 with Chippenham Town on Saturday with Ryan Sellers, Ian Gayle and Danny Green returning in place of Sam Cox who was dropped to the bench, David Pratt who had an illness and Glenn Wilson who will now miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury.

Captain Jerome Okimo slotted into midfield to deal with the aerial threat posed by the league’s top scorer Sam Higgins but the Stones skipper posed the first threat of the game up the other end of the pitch, hitting a spectacular effort just wide from the edge of the box to deny him his first goal of the season.

Stones then lead through Bubb. Quick-thinking from Matty Whichelow caught East Thurrock napping and he played it to Wellard who delivered an excellent cross that allowed Bubb to nod in an easy finish.

The pair then combined again just five minutes later, Wellard played a one-two with Bubb on the edge of the area before smashing an excellently-placed low effort past Lukas Lidakevicius to double Wealdstone’s lead.

East Thurrock offered their only real chance of the game just a minute after when Montel Agyemang squared to Harry Phipps in the box, he turned Oshodi brilliantly but then hit a tame effort straight at Jonathan North for his only save of the game to note.

Monakana offered a constant threat down the hosts right flank and grabbed a deserved goal just before half time. Whichelow hit an excellent through ball to Monakana, he beat the offside trap and rounded Lidakevicius before slotting in from a tight angle.

The second half was a far more subdued affair but Wealdstone went close through Green, he latched onto Gayle’s long ball and knocked it past keeper Lidakevicius but the knocked it wide under pressure.

East Thurrock had two half chances through Higgins but he couldn’t add to his 26-goal tally as the Stones held on for a clean sheet and three points.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times