Wealdstone 1 Wingate & Finchley 0: Abo Eisa strike sends Stones through against Blues in FA Trophy

PUBLISHED: 16:57 16 December 2017 | UPDATED: 16:57 16 December 2017

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (pic

Wealdstone manager Bobby Wilkinson (pic


FA Trophy first round: Wealdstone 1 (Eisa 51) Wingate & Finchley 0

Wealdstone are through to the second round of the FA Trophy after an Abo Eisa strike proved the difference in a 1-0 win at home to Wingate & Finchley of the Bostik Premier.

Neither team could find a breakthrough in the opening 45 minutes, with the London rivals restricted to efforts from outside the box by and large.

In the second half, Eisa’s goal, which took a deflection on its way in, proved enough to send the National League South side into Monday’s draw.

Wealdstone nearly got off to the best of starts, with Ryan Sellers racing through on goal inside 10 seconds.

However, Sellers’ touch in the box was heavy and instead of taking the ball around keeper Shane Gore, the Stones player instead knocked it out of play.

Seven minutes later, a venomous effort from 25 yards by Reece Beckles-Richards for Wingate stung the palms of Jonathan North, who could only parry the ball away before the Grosvenor Vale outfit cleared.

In a lively start to the game, home defender Eddie Oshodi narrowly headed from a free kick in the 12th minute.

Nine minutes later, North was called into action again, this time turning an 18-yard drive from Marc Charles-Smith behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Sellers tried his luck from 40 yards in the 32nd minute, with the shot taking a wicked deflection en route to goal and Gore opting to safely push it over for a corner.

However, Wealdstone were unable to find the net from the set piece, with the score still goalless.

With a minute left in the half, Blues skipper Ahmet Rifat saw an effort from the edge of the box deflected over for a corner which was dealt with by the hosts.

On the stroke of half time, the Maurice Rebak Stadium club were denied a penalty when a Charles-Smith shot looked to hit a hand in the home box, but referee Robert Massey-Ellis was unmoved.

That proved to be the final real action of the half as the two sides went into the break locked level at 0-0.

Just three minutes into the second half, Wealdstone themselves had appeals for a penalty turned down after Ciaron Brown’s shot following a corner looked to hit a hand.

Less than 60 seconds later, a powerful half volley from Nathan Mavila for Wingate was narrowly deflected behind from a corner, but the visitors were unable to do much with the subsequent set piece.

In a bright spell for the Blues, Quentin Monville saw an effort from 18 yards fly just wide of the right posts.

It proved a costly miss for Keith Rowland’s men as less than a minute, Stones took the lead.

After embarking on a mazy run down the left, Eisa made his way into the box and played the ball across goal.

Instead a finding a team mate, Eisa’s pass instead hit Sean Cronin, whose touch diverted it into the net, but the home attacker will surely claim the goal.

To their credit, Wingate when close to a quick response, with skipper Rifat drilling narrowly wide a minute later.

A strong drive from Rifat in the 66th minute also had North at full stretch, but the Stones stopper was able to keep the ball out of the goal.

There was a good battle brewing between the Wingate skipper and North, with Rifat again denied with an effort from 12 yards three minutes later.

Eisa had the ball in the net for Wealdstone again on the 70th minute, but saw the effort ruled out for offside.

With 15 minutes remaining in the match, substitute Affy Obafemi wasted a glorious chance for the Blues, skewing a shot high and wide after being found in the box.

Stones replacement Elliot Benyon could have wrapped the win in up the 80th minute, but instead nodded a Daniel Green cross off target.

A stinging driver from Sellers in the 84th minute had Gore at full stretch in the Wingate goal, but the away stopper was able to tip to shot over.

The Blues worked the ball well into the home box in the first minute of stoppage time, but Rifat’s effort at the end of the move was well off target.

A minute later, Green was another who could have scured the win for Wealdstone, but saw his effort pushed out for a corner by Gore.

Stones were able to see out the remainder of the much without too much trouble, and will now await Monday’s draw to see who they will play in the second round in January.

Wealdstone (3-4-1-2): North; Wilson, Day; Brown; Oshodi, Cox, Wellard (Ngamvoulou 63), Sellers; Green; Goodger (Benyon 71), Eisa.

Subs: Olomowewe, Hippolyte-Patrick, Fitchett.

Wingate (4-4-2): Gore; Williams, Eales, Cronin, Mavila; Monville (Obafemi 56), Ifil (Keita 70), Rifat, Laney (Pattie 85); Charles-Smith, Beckles-Richards.

Subs: Ebelebe, Conteh.

Referee: Robert Massey-Ellis

Attendance: 371.

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists