True Blue: Will Wealdstone’s promotion push sink in the rain?

PUBLISHED: 15:44 01 February 2014 | UPDATED: 15:45 01 February 2014

Gordon Bartlett

Gordon Bartlett

Copyright - © Steve Foster/Wealdstone FC 2013. You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is properly accredited.

Another week, another postponement.

Our vitally important Ryman Premier League match at Lewes on Tuesday evening fell victim to the incessant rain – so no change there then!

The only consolation was that the other nine matches on the evening were also wiped out, meaning Wealdstone remain in close contention at the top, with three games in hand over leaders Dulwich Hamlet.

And with the irony of no game this Saturday due to a fixture having been brought forward, that ‘advantage’ will now further increase.

But the backlog of matches grows and Stones now face the prospect of playing an incredible 10 league games in March as games get pushed back.

Whether those games in hand will be converted into as many points as we all hope, nay expect, remains to be seen; Stones roared back into form last week after losing their two previous matches, comfortably turning over a decent Bury Town side who were on a handy unbeaten run.

In a dramatic game at The Vale it was once again the weather that influenced proceedings and intervened with what can only be described as a mini-typhoon. Our grounds staff did a remarkable job in ensuring the pitch was playable with our redoubtable club secretary Paul ‘Fingers’ Fruin arriving to prepare the pitch as early as 5am.

The forecast rain arrived much earlier than expected and with the skies darkening ominously a maelstrom broke out with 30 minutes or so left to play. The referee, Craig Green, very sensibly allowed play to continue as long as he could in appalling driving rain but when forked lightening lit up the whole of Ruislip the man in black was forced to suspend proceedings and off the players went to the comfort of respective dressing rooms.

An abandonment was the last thing both sides needed (Stones were leading 2-0 at that stage and Bury didn’t want a midweek trip back down from Suffolk) but fortunately the storm subsided and the game resumed after 10 minutes with Stones digging in and showing no signs of the two week lay-off since the Canvey Island defeat. The crowd of 707 were happy to endure the conditions with a welcome additional beverage or two witnessing an entertaining clash and a vital win

Next up – weather permitting of course – is a trip to bogey side Lowestoft Town and a 300 mile round trip on Tuesday night. Stones really should have nothing to fear and it’s high time for a change of fortune.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times