FA Cup: Wealdstone 1 Sutton United 2

PUBLISHED: 20:26 20 October 2018

Wealdstone are out of the FA Cup (pic Geoff Smith/top-pic photography)

Wealdstone are out of the FA Cup (pic Geoff Smith/top-pic photography)

(c) top-pic photography and video productiom

Sutton United scored a last-gasp winner to knock Wealdstone out of the FA Cup, after the home side missed a 90th-minute penalty.

In a match that resembled a tough and relentless battlefield, it was Sutton who went into the hat for the first round after an intense encounter.

Wealdstone went ahead on 50 minutes via a penalty before Sutton equalised from the spot 13 minutes later and made it anyone’s game. Bradley Bubb then missed the chance to put Stones through before Aaron Drinan won the match.

Wealdstone started with an unchanged side from last week’s 2-1 win at home to Hampton & Richmond. A notable addition, however, was the inclusion of former Sutton striker Bradley Hudson-Odoi on the substitutes bench.

The away side changed four players from the Irn-Bru Cup match last Saturday, with Nicky Bailey and captain Jamie Collins both back from injury.

Sutton were the better side early on, without question, forcing themselves on to Wealdstone with their physicality. They pressed high on every man and consequently gave away set pieces.

Stones were forced into overplaying the ball, Freddie Grant having to lunge into a shot, challenged by Collins, and therefore forced off through injury five minutes later. But Stones showed everything they had from then on.

Sutton had the first clear cut chance of the match with 10 minutes played.

Makeshift substitute Rhys Tayler was back from injury and couldn’t keep out the cross for Kieron Cadogan to get a free header away. Luckily for Stones, it was straight at Jonathan North.

Wealdstone responded with determination, David Pratt finding space on the left side but couldn’t square for Fumnaya Shomotun.

The hosts showed promising signs in the aftermath of that first opportunity and had moments typically carved out from their best asset, Shotmotun, who dinked a ball towards Pratt who couldn’t head towards goal.

In the final third, Stones looked dangerous, with Pratt spearheading the attack.

Sutton started to throw more players forward, vying for a first goal, but Tom Bolarinwa was relatively contained by Jake Sheppard until this point.

But Bolarinwa had the beating of the right back giving Josh Taylor a chance, before Craig Eastmond fired a poor shot well wide.

The away side were dominant for the final stages of the first half, Cadogan received the ball from a quick free kick and smashed a shot onto crossbar.

The relentless pressure continued and a mix-up in the Wealdstone defence nearly led to a Sutton goal but Cadogan was unable to get a shot away just inside the box and felt referee Samuel Allison should’ve given a penalty.

The Sutton fans were furious heading into the break and the second half sprung into life with Wealdstone firing on all cylinders.

Shomotun was weaving in and out on the right side finding a cross, and the ball landed for Rhys Tyler who was brought down for a clear penalty.

Bubb slammed it home to put Stones ahead on 50 minutes, although there was an instant response from Sutton with the experienced Nicky Bailey diverting a free header over the bar.

Wealdstone should have made it 2-0 when Shotmotun fired a low drive across goal, which was saved by Jamie Butler and scrambled against the post and out by Pratt. The striker was desperately trying to turn it home.

Sutton made two substitutions to slow the momentum as Bolorinwa’s expertise was finely matched by that of Jonah Ayunga, who started to run at Tyler.

With 63 minutes played, Sutton’s urge to equalise was finally rewarded with a second penalty of the game as Collins tucked the ball into the bottom left corner.

Sutton’s goal was then followed by a number of great chances to go ahead as Drinan headed over and Bailey pounced on a loose ball but couldn’t make use. Substitute Ayunga met a whipped cross in from the left and headed inches wide.

The final 15 minutes saw Sutton pushing for a winner and Wealdstone profiting on the counter attack.

A fantastic cross from Shomotun found Pratt whose header was brilliantly saved by a stretching Butler to keep it level and after a scramble in the home box, Bubb found space to counter but fired over.

Stoppage time brought agonising drama as Bailey was careless in his challenge inside his own penalty area and the third penalty of the match was awarded.

Bailey was sent off and Bubb stepped up and went to Butler’s left, as did Butler.

The Stones fans were distraught having been so close to eliminating National League opposition. Then with 93 minutes played, Eastmond, who had a quiet game, sprinted down the right and fed Drinan who slotted into the far corner. Sutton were jubilant, Stones in agony and both in disbelief.

Wealdstone’s first-team coach Mike Percival said: “We’re absolutely gutted. We were one kick away from the first round proper, but we have to take the positives. We’re in a good moment here and although we’re disappointed, we have to stick together.

“We’ve played well today against a very good side. It’s about game management. Of course we missed the penalty but the most important thing is not to lose, we should be in the hat Monday.

“We are very proud of the players, this group that we are building here is a group that can do something this year.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times