Ryman League round up: Wealdstone off the mark with win at Hampton & Richmond

PUBLISHED: 07:30 21 August 2013 | UPDATED: 10:10 21 August 2013

Wealdstone's Jonathan North is called into action against Hampton & Richmond Borough on Tuesday night

Wealdstone's Jonathan North is called into action against Hampton & Richmond Borough on Tuesday night

Copyright - © Steve Foster/Wealdstone FC 2013. You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is properly accredited.

Premier Division

Wealdstone cruised to their first win of the season as goals from Sean Cronin and Peter Dean sealed a comfortable 3-0 victory at Hampton & Richmond Borough.

The Stones were given a helping hand by Tommy Brewer’s second-half own goal, while the hosts also had Joel Ledgister sent off for handball in the penalty area.

Wealdstone had a less than impressive recent record at the Beveree, and but manager Gordon Bartlett sent out a bold attacking line-up, with the pace of wide men Tom Pett and Jey Siva alongside veteran strikers Chris Moore and Scott McGleish.

After a lively start, in which Siva and Wes Parker had both shot wide for Wealdstone, the pattern of the match changed when the away side won a 42nd-minute penalty.

Ledgister was the man who inexplicably handled the ball in the area, receiving a second yellow card, and allowing Cronin to score the resultant penalty.

Wealdstone might have added to the lead when Pett and McGleish were both denied by Hampton keeper Rodney Chiweshe, while Jonathan North had to be alert to tip over a deflected shot before Alan Bray headed over from a corner.

Bartlett’s side began to assert themselves, but missed further opportunities, with Pett the main culprit, before they did make it 2-0 on 72 minutes. Siva was the architect with a clever corner, which ended up in the Hampton net courtesy of Brewer.

A superb save from North kept out Charlie Moone, and two minutes from the end Wealdstone added a third, as Bray slipped and Dean nipped in to net with ease.

The win boosts Wealdstone ahead of their first two local derbies of the season – they play Harrow Borough at Earlsmead on Saturday, followed by a home clash with Enfield Town on Bank Holiday Monday.

Harrow Borough, meanwhile, were held to a goalless draw at home by Kingstonian.

Simeon Akinola hit the crossbar – the third consecutive game in which he has been denied by the woodwork – while Harrow also came close through Shaun Lucien.

Sam Page might have stolen a win for Kingtonian, but saw his header saved by keeper Max Oberschmidt, as Borough kept their first clean sheet of the season.

Meanwhile, a 60th-minute free-kick from Stuart Boardley was enough to condemn Hendon to their third defeat of the season at Leiston.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times