Ryman League round-up: Wealdstone blow 2-0 lead against Bognor Regis Town

PUBLISHED: 14:43 13 August 2013 | UPDATED: 14:45 13 August 2013

Wes Parker scores for Wealdstone against Bognor Regis Town on Monday night

Wes Parker scores for Wealdstone against Bognor Regis Town on Monday night

Copyright - © Steve Foster/Wealdstone FC 2013. You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is properly accredited.

Premier Division

Wealdstone blew a two-goal lead to end up with just a point in their first home match of the season in the Ryman League Premier Division on Monday night.

Goals from Wes Parker and Elliot Godfrey established a seemingly secure lead for the Stones, but Bognor Regis Town struck twice in the closing minutes of the first half to level the scores.

And despite chances to win it late on, Wealdstone were frustrated, and were left with a second draw from their opening two games of the new campaign.

Peter Dean almost gave Wealdstone a first-minute lead when he took Godfrey’s pass in his stride, but Bognor keeper Mark Zawadski palmed the ball away.

Bognor twice went close, first when Terry Dodd fired in a free-kick which was deflected over the bar, and again when Jonathan North pushed over a shot from Arron Hopkinson.

Stones struck the opener in the 23rd minute when Chris Moore was brought down 30 yards from goal, and captain Parker bundled home the resulting free-kick.

And 15 minutes later, it was 2-0. Dean won the ball on the left and picked out Godfrey 20 yards from goal. Godfrey drilled the ball into the bottom corner for his first goal in a Stones shirt.

But the hosts then allowed Bognor back into the match, and the away side made it 2-1 when Hopkinson’s shot was turned home from close range by Harvey Whyne.

Wealdstone continued to stutter, and Bognor took advantage as Whyne grabbed his second after skipping through the hosts’ defence and scoring from the edge of the box.

Dean came close with a shot over the bar in the second half, but Wealdstone’s frustration grew. Reece Grant was introduced on 71 minutes, and the young forward made an immediate impact.

Grant’s goal-bound header was turned over the line by Dean, but the linesman’s flag was up.

Grant then had the ball in the net himself, following a cross from Jack Hutchinson, but once again the flag was raised and Wealdstone’s celebrations were cut short.

The visitors had a chance of their own to snatch all three points late on when Ollie Pearce tried his luck with an effort from 20 yards which was well saved by North.

Next up for Wealdstone is a home tie with Wingate & Finchley on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Hendon suffered their first defeat of the season as the Greens were beaten 2-1 at home by Dulwich Hamlet.

After Saturday’s stunning 4-0 win at Thamesmead Town, Hendon were brought down to earth by a classy Dulwich side, who took the lead on 20 minutes through Harry Ottoway.

Ottoway then made it 2-0 five minutes later, and Hendon were unable to find a reply. They finally did reduce the deficit in injury-time, but Jefferson Louis’s goal was a mere consolation.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times