Ryman League round-up: Hendon ship five while Wealdstone draw again

PUBLISHED: 20:55 18 August 2013 | UPDATED: 21:41 18 August 2013

David Diedhiou was on target for Hendon in their 5-3 defeat to Maidstone

David Diedhiou was on target for Hendon in their 5-3 defeat to Maidstone


Premier League

Hendon twice threw away the lead as they lost an eight-goal thriller at home to Maidstone United on Saturday afternoon.

The Dons found the net through Lee Angol and David Diedhiou in the first half at Earlsmead, only for Maidstone to hit back twice – and then take the lead just before half-time.

The visitors made it 4-2 early in the second half, and despite Jefferson Louis continuing his hot start to the season to make it 4-3, Maidstone added a fifth goal to seal victory.

Meanwhile, Wealdstone were held to their third successive stalemate as Wingate & Finchley left Grosvenor Vale with a point from a 2-2 draw, while Harrow Borough lost 3-1 at Margate.

Hendon, though, will be arguably the most disappointed of the three sides, having lost their second successive match at Earlsmead, their new home for the season.

They made a perfect start when Angol’s shot took a deflection and flew past visiting keeper Lee Worgan, but Maidstone equalised when Orlando Smith set up Frannie Collin.

A neat cross from Junior Morias allowed Diedhiou to restore Hendon’s lead, but once again Maidstone hit back as Collin slotted home his second.

The game took a decisive turn on 39 minutes as Paul Booth gave Maidstone the lead for the first time, an advantage they were not to relinquish for the rest of the afternoon.

Louis hit the post for Hendon, but their troubles then deepened as Alex Brown scored with a smart finish to extend the lead, before Louis did find the net to make it 4-3.

Maidstone had the final say, Brown scoring his second to finally see off Gary McCann’s side.

Wealdstone manager Gordon Bartlett has warned the club’s fans that it will take a month for his new-look side to gel, and watched on in frustration as Stones laboured against Wingate.

Scott Schulton caught the home side’s defence napping to slot past Jonathan North after just eight minutes, but Wealdstone replied immediately when Sean Cronin played in Chris Moore.

Leon Smith lashed home a second for Wingate after the Wealdstone defence had given the lively striker too much space, but again Wealdstone scored to level before half-time.

This time it was Tom Pett on target, scoring with a superb drive past Bobby Smith.

Bartlett threw on former Reading star Glenn Little after the break, but with neither side able to carve out any genuine chances the game fizzled out into stalemate.

Just 22 seconds had elapsed when Harrow Borough fell behind to Margate, Charles smashing the ball past Max Oberschmidt after Danny Leech failed to win a header.

Borough equalised when Leech flicked on a corner and Phil Walsh turned the ball into his own net, and the visitors then had a golden chance to take the lead when Simeon Akinola was fouled in the box by keeper Craig Holloway, with the referee awarding the penalty.

However, Shaun Lucien’s kick was too close to Holloway, who made the save for Margate.

Margate were reduced to 10 men when Ryan Dolby was sent off for a foul on Akinola, before they regained the lead when Walsh atoned for his own goal by sweeping home a shot.

A mistake by Leech then allowed Zac Attwood to drive in a third and wrap it up for Margate.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times