Rotherham 0-3 QPR: Rs run rampant with second-half treble to record much-needed win

PUBLISHED: 16:57 16 January 2016 | UPDATED: 16:57 16 January 2016

Junior Hoilett scored his third goal in six games to open the scoring for QPR in their win at Rotherham

Junior Hoilett scored his third goal in six games to open the scoring for QPR in their win at Rotherham


Second-half goals from Junior Hoilett, Matt Phillips and Sebastian Polter were enough to secure Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink a first win as QPR manager at the ninth attempt of asking.

After a dismal first-half showing the Rs were much improved after the break, with two quick-fire goals within just three minutes of each other put Rangers in the ascendancy, before Polter netted in injury-time to put a gloss on the scoreline and end Rotherham’s three-match home winning streak in the process.

Hasselbaink made two changes to the side which drew 1-1 at Blackburn with Alex Smithies returning to the starting XI after an elbow injury replacing youngster Joe Lumley in goal, while illness to Alejandro Faurlin meant Massimo Luongo made a rare start for Rangers.

Rotherham, who went into the game on the back of three straight home wins, controlled proceedings in the first half, with Hasselbaink’s men having to deal with a bombardment of long balls and corner into the area in the opening 20 minutes.

Neil Readfearn’s men twice went close to taking the deadlock before the break, with first Paul Green – a constant threat throughout – striking the post with a fierce left-footed drive, with Nedum Onuoha blocking Matt Derbyshire’s goal-bound effort.

Danny Ward’s powerful header on 38 minutes then went inches wide of Smithies near post, after Grant Hall’s header was palmed out well by former Rangers keeper Lee Camp in their only meaningful attack of the half.

Rangers started the second period with intent and were duly rewarded on 52 minutes. Hoilett darted into the area under two challenges, setting himself up onto his left foot and firing home impressively from close range to send the away faithful into raptures.

Things got even better for Hasselbaink’s men two minutes later, with the ball breaking to Matt Phillips in the area, with the sought-after winger making no mistake inside the penalty area, smashing the ball past Lee Camp to make it 2-0.

Fer went close to making it three on 74 minutes, with his right-footed curled effort going agonisingly wide of Camp’s far post. Redfearn’s men battled bravely to get back into the game but to no avail, with Polter adding a third in injury-time - his third goal in four games - as QPR made it 3-0 and ensured they’d be bringing home a morale-boosting three points back to west London.

QPR: Smithies; Perch, Onuoha, Hall, Konchesky; Henry, Luongo; Phillips, Fer, Hoilett; Polter.

Subs not used: Lumley, Angella, Petrasso, Sandro, Tozser.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times