Search

Quashie set for Rangers return

PUBLISHED: 16:19 04 January 2010 | UPDATED: 14:49 24 August 2010

By Dave McIntyre NIGEL Quashie could be on his way back to QPR, who are also closing in on the signing of Portsmouth goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown. Quashie, sold to Nottingham Forest for £2.5m in 1998, has recently been on loan at MK Dons from West Ham. Range

By Dave McIntyre

NIGEL Quashie could be on his way back to QPR, who are also closing in on the signing of Portsmouth goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown.

Quashie, sold to Nottingham Forest for £2.5m in 1998, has recently been on loan at MK Dons from West Ham.

Rangers had the opportunity to take him on loan earlier in the season but decided against the move, partly because of concerns over his fitness.

But Quashie has impressed for Milton Keynes and Rs manager Paul Hart is interested in signing him.

Rangers are likely to take the player on a contract until the end of the season if he can agree his release from West Ham, where he is out of the first-team picture.

It would be a similar deal to last term's signings of Jordi Lopez and Liam Miller, whose stay at the club was ultimately not extended.

Quashie told the Times only last month: "QPR is a club that I love dearly, they are my club and I still go and watch them when I can."

Hart is also close to securing the services of Portsmouth reserve stopper Ashdown, whose Fratton Park contract expires later this year.

Ashdown, 29, has made three first-team appearances for the Premier League club this season and could replace Radek Cerny in goal for Rangers' home match against Plymouth on Saturday if a deal to sign him can be agreed.

Rangers have also made enquires about striker Danny Webber - signed for Portsmouth by Hart last summer - and Stoke's out-of-favour midfielder Amdy Faye.

Hull's Caleb Folan, a perennial QPR target in the last year or so, is again being considered now the transfer window has opened, but he is currently nursing an injury.

Rangers have also expressed an interest in taking Fulham forward David Elm on trial ahead of a possible move.

The Swedish target man, who turns 27 this week, joined Fulham in the summer but has made only one first-team appearance.

Meanwhile, Italian duo Matteo Alberti and Alessandro Pellicori have been told they have no future at QPR.

Winger Alberti, who signed a four-year contract in 2008, has been offered to a number of Italian lower league clubs.

Striker Pellicori, who moved to west London earlier this year, is also set for a move back home after failing to make an impact.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times