QPR midfielder: My injury nightmare has left me a different player
PUBLISHED: 15:00 07 August 2015 | UPDATED: 16:11 07 August 2015
PA Archive/PA Images
Alejandro Faurlin admits three years of injury hell have left him a different player and in a battle to adapt his game.
The QPR midfielder has suffered three anterior cruciate ligament injuries since January 2012, restricting him to just 27 appearances in all competitions in that time.
The 28-year-old fans’ favourite made his first appearance at Loftus Road in almost a year in QPR’s friendly against Atalanta on Sunday and, while he wants to put his nightmare behind him, he admits he is not the player he once was.
Faurlin said: “The toughest part for me [after all the injuries] has been having to adjust my game –knowing when to go and make a run and when to stay, for instance.
“I will have to continue adapting to that, because I always want to be an exciting player chasing everything around the pitch and winning the ball, but now I have to be more sensible.”
Faurlin suffered identical knee injuries in three consecutive seasons, the first coming in an FA Cup tie against MK Dons in January 2012.
A second injury against Derby County in November 2013 ruled him out for the season, and the curse struck again when the Argentine landed awkwardly on his knee in a Capital One Cup tie against Burton Albion last August.
He returned in a holding midfield role for the 1-1 draw against Atalanta, and says he is relishing the Championship opener against Charlton Athletic on Saturday.
“I’m enjoying every moment so far – I have to, as you don’t know what is around the corner,” he added. “I don’t want to get too excited though, so I am just taking it day by day, game by game.
“My main target is to be available for selection for the gaffer, so I am happy I have fulfilled that so far and long may that continue.”
Follow me on Twitter @seangallagher9