Karl Henry: Jimmy has done nothing wrong... the whole QPR squad are behind him
PUBLISHED: 18:30 03 October 2016 | UPDATED: 18:54 03 October 2016
PA Wire/Press Association Images
Karl Henry says Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has the full support of the QPR squad, with the midfielder insisting the Dutchman has done nothing wrong after allegations made against him in the Daily Telegraph last week.
As part of an investigation from the newspaper into alleged corruption in football, Hasselbaink has come under fire after allegations he negotiated a fee of £55,000 to act as an ambassador for a sports company that proposed selling players to QPR.
The Rs boss maintains his innocence though, insisting video footage has been edited to make him look bad and the 44-year-old is now considering taking legal action against the newspaper.
They issued the perfect response to those claims with a morale-boosting 2-1 victory at local rivals Fulham on Saturday, with Henry admitting that the events that build up to the game only making the squad more united than ever.
He told the Times: “We believe in what we’re doing as a club and what the manager is trying to do here. It’s been a difficult couple of weeks for us in terms of results and other stuff behind the scenes.
“I personally don’t think the gaffer has anything to worry about, we certainly don’t think he’s done anything wrong. We’ve all seen the footage and have absolutely no issues with it.
“He doesn’t need it and nor do we do as a football - nobody needs that distraction. There’s no doubt that galvanised us though and pulled us closer together though.
“As far as we’re concerned though he’s done nothing wrong, so now we move on and hopefully we can really kick on together as a group. We want to try and achieve something this season.
“No-one wants a season like last year where it peters out and we end up finishing mid-table. We want to be up around the top six and eight of the division - that’s the aim.”