Adel Taarabt loves QPR but admits he was disappointed AC Milan move did not happen
PUBLISHED: 10:02 06 October 2014 | UPDATED: 13:05 06 October 2014
PA Wire/Press Association Images
Adel Taarabt admits he was disappointed to miss out on a permanent move to AC Milan in the summer but is now focused on getting fully fit and helping QPR move off the bottom of the league.
The 25-year-old attacker came off the bench against West Ham and set about demanding the ball off team mates, adding a much needed creative spark to the side.
He said: “This is the way I play, it is my game.
“Every time I want the ball, I’m not scared to get the ball in the areas where I can hurt the opposition but it was very difficult. I came on with 20 minutes to go – I tried to at least get a goal.
“I think these two weeks will help me to get 100 per cent fit. I need games; I didn’t have a very good pre season.
“I was in the middle of a transfer. It was difficult for me because I was thinking that I would move, in the end it didn’t happen and now I am here.
“I have to work hard and try to get back into the team and try to help QPR to win games.”
Last season Taarabt spent time out on loan at rivals Fulham where he struggled to make an impact but at AC Milan Taarabt scored four goals and enjoyed playing in the Champions League.
He added: “This club [QPR] has helped me a lot – I think I am the player who has been at this club the longest now. I still love the club because it has helped me to develop.
“I had a taste of something different last year; I played in the Champions League for a big club so I wanted to get a move there.
“Not because I don’t want to be at QPR but because it was a big opportunity for me.
“I have a good relationship with the QPR fans, they love me and I love this club and I cannot forget that.”
Taarabt could secure his dream move in January but understands that QPR will only let him go if Milan are willing pay the fee that Rangers are demanding.
He said: “This club I love. I think if I move, it is fair that they have a fee.
“They have shown me to the highest level so I think it is normal to have a fee. But now I am very concentrated on QPR and trying to give my best.”
Taarabt is still struggling with an ankle injury but says he is determined to try and help QPR turn around a poor start to the season which has seen the Rs pick up four points from the first seven matches.
He said: “I still play with a strap. I have come back earlier than I should because I want to get fit. These two weeks will help me, I think we have a friendly game on Thursday or Friday so I hope to get 60 or 70 minutes.
“It is not a big injury but every time you get kicked on it, and the way I play I get kicked so it is not easy.
“Sometimes even in training. The way I done it was not even through a tackle. I was running, I pressed someone and someone kicked the outside of my foot and my ankle turned.
“But this is because I think when you get injuries like this it is when you are not fit and you try to force things you can have a problem.
“In January I have the African Nations Cup as well in my country so I have to be fit.”
Taarabt is adamant that the QPR players rather than manager Harry Redknapp should be taking responsibility for another poor performance away from home.
He said: “It is easy to blame the manager when we lose every time. I think us; the players at QPR have to step up.
“The players who have been here and the players who have been brought in must step up, now is the Premier League.
“We have a fantastic owner who helps us; everything is there for us to perform.
“I just think when we see each other play, it looks we just don’t gel together.
“There is no creativity up front so it is difficult but this is down to us as players because the manager can change tactics, tell us what he wants but after when the players go on the pitch it is up to us to perform.
“We are disappointed, we are bottom of the league – it is not very nice.
“We have been working hard and I think if you can keep a clean sheet then you can win games but at the moment we don’t do that so it is very difficult for us.”
Along with lack of fitness due to a poor pre season matches in Germany and Ireland, Redknapp has also said the sale of Loic Remy to Chelsea just before the close of the transfer window has been a major reason why QPR have struggled – Taarabt is in agreement.
He said: “Lo Lo is a big loss for us. I remember two years ago, we played here, me and Loic.
“Loic gives you what West Ham strikers did. He can run behind, he is fast and makes fantastic runs. For a player like me to play behind is fantastic.
“We do not have that now, but Charlie [Austin] is working hard and giving his best.
“We have to keep working and after two weeks we have a big game again against Liverpool.”
Follow me @RobBrennan82
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.