QPR unlikely to get promoted this season, concedes Les Ferdinand
PUBLISHED: 10:00 30 September 2015 | UPDATED: 14:18 30 September 2015
PA Wire/Press Association Images
QPR’s director of football Les Ferdinand has urged supporters to curb their expectations for this season, but insists Chris Ramsey is the right man to take the club forward.
Rangers are without a win in four games, with head coach Ramsey coming under fire from fans on social media following a pitiful display at Fulham last Friday night as they were thrashed 4-0.
However, Ferdinand believes the upheaval that has occurred on and off the field at Loftus Road in the summer means instant success is in no sense a guarantee.
He told the Times: “We’ve said all along that this season is about being patient and consolidating. Because we kept Charlie [Austin] and Matty [Phillips] everyone thinks we’re automatically going to win the league but we’ve got no divine right to do that.
“We’ve brought 14 new faces into this football club and got rid of 16. I think people forget that. It takes time to gel. At no point have we said we’re going to get promoted this season.
“As much as we’d love to achieve that we’ve got be realistic. It’s about patience, it’s about giving people time and getting to grips with the new philosophy we’ve put into place.
“I understand that our supporters will get antagonised because Chris isn’t a household name so they’re crying out for someone else with more experience, but I’m convinced he’s the right man.”
Rangers lie 13th in the Championship after nine games, but they only sit three points off third place. However, Ferdinand is not entertaining the thought of a promotion bid, citing the example of Fulham’s struggle last year as a stark reminder that things are not always plain sailing.
He added: “Fulham nearly went down last season after relegation the year before and they were in a far better position than us after coming down.
“They understood where they were and we understand where we are. We’ve got to keep managing expectations, as we know we’re very much a work in progress.”
Elsewhere, Ferdinand says Tjaronn Chery has been forgiven after the midfielder reacted angrily to being substituted in the first half at Craven Cottage and stormed down the tunnel.
“His reaction was unacceptable but he’s come out now and apologised for his actions,” said Ferdinand. “We’ll wipe the slate clean and go again now.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.