QPR 2-2 Blackburn: Nedum Onuoha nets late equaliser as Rangers grab point

PUBLISHED: 21:55 16 September 2015 | UPDATED: 19:17 18 September 2015

Nedum Onuoha scored a late equaliser for QPR

Nedum Onuoha scored a late equaliser for QPR


Nedum Onuoha scored his first league goal in 17 months as QPR came from behind twice to salvage a point against Blackburn Rovers in an entertaining affair at Loftus Road on Wednesday night.

The QPR skipper rose highest from Daniel Tozser’s corner 11 minutes from time to ensure a share of the spoils after Jordan Rhodes had given the visitors the lead after 60 minutes with a clever piece of play, on a night where Chris Ramsey’s men rode their luck.

An Adam Henley own-goal cancelled out Shane Duffy’s first-half effort just a minute after the break as Rangers downfall was yet again their defending.

Ramsey made one change from the side which fell to defeat against Nottingham Forest with Alex Smithies replacing the suspended Rob Green in goal.

The game was delayed for seven minutes right at the startfollowing an injury to Tommy Spurr, with the Blackburn defender stretched off the field in worrying circumstances.

Rangers were all at sea as play restarted with yet more poor goalkeeping costing Ramsey’s side dearly early on as they fell behind on 14 minutes.

Craig Conway floated a free-kick in from the left with Duffy rising above Smithies to bundle the ball home at the far post.

The former Huddersfield man’s protests to referee Darren Deadman fell on deaf ears as Blackburn went a goal ahead.

Rovers could have doubled their lead just minutes after with Rhodes going close again as the hosts failed to get outside of their own half, let alone have a foothold on the game.

Up the other end Rangers created their first real chance of note as Karl Henry crashed the ball over the bar, before Charlie Austin then teed up Tjaronn Chery inside the area - whose header went inches over Jason Steele’s goal.

Deep into stoppage time Rangers had Smithies to thank as he pulled of a superb stop to deny Rhodes as Ramsey’s men went into the break a goal down.

Rangers came out a different side in the second half though and within 30 seconds levelled the scoreline. Austin got the better of his marker inside the area before taking the ball past Steele and finding the net via a deflection of Henley, with the goal going down as an own-goal.

Ramsey’s men continued to put pressure on with Chery going close with a close-range volley following an inviting cross from Matt Phillips on the left-hand side.

Against the run of play it was Rovers who regained the lead though, with Rhodes turning Onuoha with ease before planting the ball into the bottom corner past Smithies sending the away fans into delirium.

Ramsey introduced Jamie Mackie with just over 20 minutes remaining, and that substitution seemed to galvanise the team to an extent.

The industrious attacker won a corner on the right-hand side with Tozser’s delivery finding Onuoha, whose header could only be palmed into the net by Steele, as the Rs drew level

Massimo Luongo then wasted two golden opportunities to snatch what would have been a fortutious victory for Rangers late on as both sides searched for a winner, but come full-time they were forced to settle for a point.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times