Non-league round-up: Harrow Borough and Hendon both suffer home defeats

PUBLISHED: 12:00 14 April 2016 | UPDATED: 12:51 14 April 2016

Harrow Borough full-back James Dobson

Harrow Borough full-back James Dobson


Harrow Borough’s three-match winning run came to an abrupt end on Tuesday night as they were swept aside by Metropolitan Police at Earlsmead.

After an encouraging first-half display, Steve Baker’s men were unable to push on in the second half and take something from the Ryman League Premier Division clash.

Borough started well and came close to taking the lead on several occasions.

Ashley West punched away a dangerous inswinging Spencer McCall free-kick and Fejiri Okenabirhie had a shot blocked after a clever free-kick from James Dobson opened up the opportunity.

West then saved Lewis Driver’s header from Dylan Cascoe’s set piece, before an ensuing chase on goal saw the keeper get there just in front of the livewire Borough forward.

But it was the visitors who edged themselves ahead after settling into the game, with former Hendon striker Leon Smith breaking the deadlock after 26 minutes.

Michael Peacock’s poor header allowed Smith a run on goal and, although Joe McDonnell got a hand to his shot, he was unable to keep it out.

Borough then struggled badly after the interval, with Jim Cooper’s men taking full advantage as they eased to their second successive away win.

Harry Newman switched off after a throw-in was taken on the right, and Will Salmon converted at the far post to double the visitors’ lead.

The hosts were non-existent as an attacking force, unlike their opponents, who made it 3-0 with 10 minutes remaining as Ryan James scrambled the ball home to compound Borough’s misery.

- Hendon manager Gary McCann felt his team were fortunate to only lose by one goal as the Greens suffered a third successive defeat on Monday night.

The Dons, who were thumped 4-1 away at Brentwood Town on Saturday, hosted Leatherhead two days later and threw away a 2-1 lead at Earlsmead to go down 3-2.

McCann took to Twitter to say: “Didn’t get what we deserved tonight… Deserved to be beat by more! Saturday seems an age away!”

Hendon fell behind after eight minutes as Kiernan Hughes-Mason opened the scoring and they continued to struggle for the opening half an hour.

The hosts then enjoyed a purple patch, with Carl McCluskey levelling in the 32nd minute and then heading home from Sam Flegg’s cross early in the second half, while 16-year-old Keagan Cole saw a further goal disallowed for offside.

However, the Dons were unable to stay on top and Frannie Collin struck twice for the visitors, who were much the better side in the 
final half an hour.

It leaves McCann’s side just four points above the bottom four. But 21st-placed Farnborough are set to be automatically relegated because of a failure to pay creditors, so Hendon only need to stay ahead of Brentwood Town, who are third from bottom and lie nine points behind the Greens with just four games to play.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times