National League South: Whitehawk 0 Wealdstone 1

PUBLISHED: 09:32 29 April 2018 | UPDATED: 09:32 29 April 2018

Ricky Wellard of Wealdstone celebrates (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Ricky Wellard of Wealdstone celebrates (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Wealdstone ended the 2017/18 season with a win after beating Whitehawk in Brighton thanks to Ricky Wellard’s header.

The Stones ended their league campaign in 11th place and 10 points off the play-offs after boss Bobby Wilkinson’s first season in charge.

And Wilkinson made six changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Oxford City on Thursday night with Jonathan North, Jake Sheppard, Eddie Oshodi, Jeffrey Monakana, Danny Green and Wellard all returning.

Both sides shared a quiet first half although Hawks keeper Daniel Wilks did have to pull off two top saves to keep the relegated hosts level at the break.

Firstly, he denied Reading loanee Sheppard after he hit a thunderous volley from the edge of the box that was travelling to the top corner before the keeper got there to tip it over.

He then denied Bradley Bubb after Green and Monakana offered some intricate build-up play that resulted in the latter delivering a low cross for Bubb, but the keeper got down quick enough to deny the striker’s effort.

Wealdstone were a far stronger outfit in the second half and Whitehawk’s Zac Fagan and Kodi Lyons-Foster had to put their bodies on the line to deny Bubb and his strike partner David Pratt.

Goalscorer Wellard offered a potent attacking threat from midfield and had a header cleared off the line by Ky Marsh-Brown and also hit the crossbar after Pratt’s initial effort was parried by Wilks.

He finally scored on 71 minutes after Monakana’s cross found Wellard unmarked on the edge of the six-yard box to guide the easiest of headers past Wilks.

Whitehawk offered a rare response just two minutes later when Marsh-Brown’s cross found Sam Chaney free at the far post but he headed wide of North’s goal.

The Stones could’ve wrapped it up at the end after a corner found Ian Gayle unmarked and with the goal at his mercy, but he smashed his effort off the crossbar from close range as the Stones held out for a comfortable victory.

Wealdstone: North, Sheppard, Okimo, Oshodi, Gayle, Wellard (Whichelow 86), Monakana (Kearney 90), Cox, Pratt, Green, Bubb (Fitchett 78). Unused subs: Sellers, Kouassi.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times