Little inspires Wealdstone to thumping win over Enfield

PUBLISHED: 11:39 27 August 2013 | UPDATED: 11:39 27 August 2013

Scott McGleish scores against Enfield Town at the weekend. Picture courtesy of Steve Foster/ Wealdstone FC

Scott McGleish scores against Enfield Town at the weekend. Picture courtesy of Steve Foster/ Wealdstone FC

Copyright - © Steve Foster/Wealdstone FC 2013. You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is properly accredited.

Ryman League Premier Division: Wealdstone 4 Enfield Town 1

A single substitution made the difference for Wealdstone on Monday as they hammered Enfield Town and shot to fifth in the Premier Division table.

Stones were woeful for the first 35 minutes at The Vale, trailing to a Joe O’Brien goal on six minutes and on course for their first loss of the season.

However, on 37 minutes manager Gordon Bartlett brought on Glen Little, the former Burnley, Portsmouth and Reading midfielder, and he changed the game.

The hosts levelled through Chris Moore and took the lead through a Chris Wild own goal, and went on to add two more goals in the second half.

There was little sign of such a result when Enfield roared into an early lead, Mark Kirby crossing for O’Brien to power a header past Jonathan North.

North had to pull off an excellent save to deny Wild, before Kirby smashed a shot against the post as Wealdstone floundered and Enfield dominated.

Bartlett responded by hauling off Peter Dean and sending on midfielder Little, and he had an immediate impact, finally providing quality service to the forwards. Scott McGleish should have equalised, sending a rebound wide.

However, the match then turned in a breath-taking three-minute spell. Tom Pett was the architect of the equaliser, crossing for Moore to thump in a header - before Wild nodded past his keeper with the last move of the half.

The second half, in complete contrast to the first, was all Wealdstone. McGleish had already spurned one opportunity when, 10 minutes after the break, he floated in a lovely goal after Little started another flowing move to make it 3-1 to the home side.

Jack Hutchison might have pulled one back, but his shot floated just wide.

And Wealdstone were in no mood to relent, as inside the final few minutes McGleish’s strike hit the post, and Pett headed over the stranded keeper.

Enfield had to reply to the onslaught, although North had to be alert late on to save from Adam Wallace after a mistake by Jey Siva.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times