Lions to appeal after cup exit

PUBLISHED: 15:13 01 October 2008 | UPDATED: 13:22 24 August 2010

WEMBLEY are appealing to get their Combined Counties League Cup second round tie against Badshot Lea replayed after a disputed penalty decision saw them crash to defeat...




WEMBLEY are appealing to get their Combined Counties League Cup second round tie against Badshot Lea replayed after a disputed penalty decision saw them crash to defeat.

Two minutes into extra-time, with the scores tied at 1-1, the Lions were awarded a penalty. Paul Shelton converted, but referee Mike Taylor disallowed the goal for an encroachment into the area by a Wembley player.

He then awarded an indirect free kick to Badshot, with Wembley appealing that the penalty should have been retaken.

Wembley had taken the lead with an Ian Bates (pictured) free-kick, but Michael Harper forced extra time. Two minutes after the controversy, Shelton wriggled his way into the danger zone to put Wembley back in front.

Luke Reid put through his own net to level matters again in the 105th minute, before Shelton again restored Wembley's advantage. A close range effort from Matt Griffiths made it 3-3, before Jason Short volleyed home from a half-cleared corner in the final minute to win it for Badshot.

However, the result will be null and void should Wembley win their appeal. The CCL will discuss the matter at the next management meeting on Monday October 13.

And Wembley's winless run was extended to 10 matches on Saturday as high-fliers Camberley Town consigned them to a 3-1 defeat.

Town went ahead after 10 minutes when Joe Johnson leapt beyond his marker to head home a left-wing cross, and just past the hour a long ball fell nicely into the path of Adam Connell, who picked his spot to make it 2-0.

The frustrated Lions managed a response in the 73rd minute when new boy Stephane Forbes latched onto Marc Talbot's through pass and fed the lurking Shelton, who skilfully eluded a defender before firing low past the 'keeper.

The rejuvenated visitors sensed an equaliser, but as so often this season they surrendered the initiative and poor defending enabled Jamie-Lee Smithers to seal the win 10 minutes from time.

Wembley: Croffie, Reid (Holian 30), Black (McCormack 82), Talbot, Scott, Walker, Bates, Kuniqi, Butler (Forbes 61), Shelton, Marshe. Subs: Augustine, Culley.

n TWO late goals consigned Willesden Constantine to their fourth defeat of the season as Kodak ran out 2-0 winners in the Middlesex County League on Saturday.

On the back of last week's promising win against Bedfont Sports, Willesden created plenty of chances, but were let down by a combination of poor finishing and careless defending.

Lethanial Clark fired wide and Chris Morris wasted a similar opportunity to give his side the lead.

Kodak struck just 15 minutes from the end of the match as the Willesden defence gave away possession, and soon after another defensive error saw the visitors wrap up a deserved win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times