Keeper lays foundations for Gibbons Wreckers’ first victory

PUBLISHED: 15:42 02 November 2011

Gibbons Wreckers u13s

Gibbons Wreckers u13s


Goalkeeper Mailo Conceicao produced a string of top-class saves on Sunday as Gibbons Wreckers under-13s recorded their first win of the season.

Conceicao made two excellent stops in the opening five minutes and Shane Cummins kept Glencoe at bay with a brave headed clearance from under the crossbar, but GW gradually weathered the storm.

They took the lead with their first real attack, Shakyle Melford firing across the keeper, and Melford was unlucky not to add a second soon afterwards as his volley hit the post, rolled along the line and stayed out.

Despite strong Glencoe pressure at the start of the second half, the Wreckers doubled their lead when Jayden Hutchinson beat both centre-backs and the goalkeeper before slotting home.

Cummins, Tyler Murphy, Ellis Farrar and Ryan Stokes all worked hard at the back, but Glencoe finally halved the deficit after a goalmouth scramble involving 14 players.

However, the visitors kept possession from the restart and Vitor Vasconcelos found Kane Clifford, who dispatched a delightful chip over the advancing keeper to make it 3-1.

Oria Oriakhi was the hero for Wreckers’ under-12s as he kept out two spot-kicks against St Joseph’s to take his side through in the League Cup.

GW took the lead against their higher division opponents when 
Bilal Ahmadzai found Joshua Blaize-Carr, whose cross was smashed into the net by Raymond Corcoran.

Oriakhi made a number of one-on-one saves to keep St Joseph’s at bay, but the visitors eventually levelled three minutes from the end to take the tie into extra time.

Although St Joseph’s then took the lead, GW ensured that the contest would be decided on penalties when Abdul Jalloh sent a free-kick into the box and Corcoran beat the offside trap to score his second.

Brandon O’Carroll and Ryan O’Carroll both netted in the shoot-out for the Wreckers, who triumphed 2-1 after Oriakhi saved two penalties and two more flew off target.

Three players scored hat-tricks as Gibbons Wreckers under-11s trounced Kinja FC 15-0 to secure their third league win in a row.

Captain Geraldo Hysa set the ball rolling with a penalty and Richard Figah made it 2-0 before Alfie Cassidy, Daniel Paul, Mohamed Bangura and Darnell White gave the Wreckers a six-goal lead.

Anwar Benahmed set up Cassidy after the break and Bangura added another before two quick goals from White completed his hat-trick and took GW into double figures.

Bangura achieved his treble and White made it 12-0 before Paul scored again, Cassidy grabbed his hat-trick goal, and Bangura rounded off Kinja’s torment with the Wreckers’ 15th of the game.

Sekani Melford scored the only goal for Wreckers’ under-10s in their win over Larkspur Rovers B, while Ehinor Oriakhi and Sam Davies were on the mark as the under-nines drew 2-2 with St Andrew’s.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times