Holloway hails Henry but admits he has no future at QPR
PUBLISHED: 10:01 24 January 2017 | UPDATED: 14:19 24 January 2017
Ian Holloway has admitted that Karl Henry’s QPR career is all but over, but has hailed the midfielder and says he will give a glowing reference about him to any potential suitors.
After a training ground bust-up with Holloway earlier this month, Henry was told he was free to leave the club and has since been training with the development squad.
However, the pair have now settled their differences, with the veteran midfielder back training with the first-team squad.
Despite that, Henry is still way down the pecking order at Loftus Road and Holloway has admitted it would be in everyone’s interests if the 34-year-old moves on this month.
He told the Times: “I think that’s a different kettle of fish [Karl’s future]. Am I going to put him back in front of Ryan Manning and (Michael) Doughty and Massimo (Luongo), no.
“He knows that and he’s actively seeking a move and thinking about the rest of his life now.
“He’s had a very good career, we’ve had a chat, him, Les and myself [on Thursday].
“He’s a fantastic man, if he just stays here I will involve him the way I’m involving him at the minute. I’m not about to do anything horrible to him and throw him to the kids or anything like that because he’s a fantastic pro.
“The facts are though if he can get a longer contract with someone else, I would help him do that because I’m not going to give him that. I would rather do that for him now, if there’s anyone out there who wants a fantastic player who can play in midfield for the rest of this year and next it’s definitely Karl - so do it.”
Holloway, who is set to complete the £500,000 signing of Manchester United youngster Sean Goss, also admitted that he wouldn’t have given Henry a new contract in the summer had he been in charge.
He added: “In mind of the other players I have at the club I’ve had to be harsh and say I’m sorry I wouldn’t have kept you last summer.
“I personally wouldn’t have let Doughty go out on loan and if Karl Henry was here and he had a year (left on his contract), I would have kept both of them.
“But I wouldn’t have re-signed Karl. I would not have signed on someone who’s 34-stroke-35 and not given him another opportunity to play. Karl knows this.
“But Jimmy decided to do that. What can I say? Is Jimmy right or wrong? It’s not even relevant. The fact is I want to play a different way than Jimmy did.
“So just because my idea is different to Jimmy’s (Floyd Hasselbaink) it doesn’t make it right or wrong that’s just facts and Karl is dealing with it in the proper way.”
He continued: “It’s a massive thumbs up from me to anyone who wants a senior pro to help your group.
“The fact is though when I look at the group I’ve got and even Perchy (James Perch) I could move into that role (midfled) as he played there for Wigan.
“Why do I need to keep someone who has just got one year and is in and out of that sort of scenario and I haven’t got enough cash to do it.
“So unfortunately my job is not very nice sometimes and that’s not a very nice part of it - someone might not have done anything wrong at all but ends up on the wrong.”