Hendon through to last 16 of league cup thanks to Ibe strike

PUBLISHED: 14:17 11 December 2014 | UPDATED: 14:17 11 December 2014

Hendon defender Olly Sprague (left) struggled against Bognor Regis Town

Hendon defender Olly Sprague (left) struggled against Bognor Regis Town


Hendon bounced back from a rare league defeat against Bognor Regis Town by progressing to the last 16 of the league cup, beating Enfield Town 1-0 on Tuesday.

It is the first time in nine seasons that the club have reached this stage, and the result also ended a run of five consecutive defeats against Enfield.

The only goal of the game came in the 48th minute when Kezie Ibe found the back of the net to secure a last-16 tie at home against Hampton & Richmond Borough, with the date yet to be arranged.

It was the ideal response from the Greens, who were well beaten in the league on Saturday.

Their three-month unbeaten run in the Ryman League Premier 
Division was brought to an end by Bognor Regis in a 4-1 defeat.

The Greens had not tasted defeat in the league since the end of August, but poor defending cost them dearly.

Hendon were three goals down inside 23 minutes, the first being a James Fisher own goal, followed by goals from Alex Parsons and Ollie Pearce.

Belal Aite-Ouakrim pulled a goal back in the 25th minute but Bognor completed the scoring in the 89th minute when Tony Taggart scored a second own goal to restore the home side’s three-goal winning margin.

Manager Gary McCann said: “We didn’t start the game at all well and were blitzed in the first 25 minutes.

“The defending was not good enough and that goes from right-back to left-back. I think it was as poor as we have been all season.

“They opened us up at will, especially in the defensive end. It was very disappointing and I certainly didn’t see that sort of display coming, given where we have been at in recent games.

“But, after the early shambles, I thought we had a degree of control – although they did sit back deeper to let us play.”

McCann added: “I believe that if we had taken one of our chances either before half-time or just after, to make it 3-2, we could have got something from the game. I think they would have been on the rocks.

“The team I selected I thought would be good enough and we were deliberately quite offensive, but I don’t think it would have mattered given the way we defended in the early part of the game.

“I told the players in the dressing room that they’ve earnt the right to see the defeat as a blip.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times