Hat-trick of wins puts AFC Wembley back on track

PUBLISHED: 16:57 17 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:57 17 April 2013

AFC Wembley under-12s

AFC Wembley under-12s


AFC Wembley under-12s swiftly brushed off the cobwebs as they returned to Harrow Youth League action with three victories in two days.

The AFCW boys had not played for almost a month, but they got back in the groove with a 3-0 win over St Andrew’s and followed that up with maximum points in a double header against Spartans.

Although AFCW initially looked sluggish against St Andrew’s on Saturday, they went ahead when Elijah Carter ran down the left and supplied a cross for Gareth Balekomoso to sweep the ball in off the post.

Saints had the better chances for the rest of the first half and AFCW had to wait until midway through the second period to double their lead, as Richie Azowenu crossed for Carter to rifle a volley into the top corner.

It was Azowenu who wrapped up the win for AFCW, collecting a pass from Shakur Farah and controlling the ball on his thigh before unleashing a volley into the net.

AFCW then travelled to Brentford to face Spartans and they fell behind against the run of play, but Wesley Tobino crossed for Jelani Inyeama to score the equaliser.

Carter went close for AFCW, but the scores remained level until five minutes from time, when Inyeama played a one-two with Carter and netted again to secure a 2-1 win.

The second game was far more one-sided, with Farah firing AFCW ahead before Carter converted Tobino’s cross to make it 2-0 and Inyeama lobbed the Spartans goalkeeper for number three.

Farah and Carter combined to set up Balekomoso, who held off his marker to smash the ball home, and the latter then provided the cross for Anthony Byfield to extend AFCW’s lead to 5-0.

Carter grabbed their sixth before half-time, turning onto Balekomoso’s free-kick to fire home, and Kai Hippolyte-Patrick completed the 7-0 rout with a free-kick after the break.

AFCW’s under-12 B team matched that scoreline, thrashing Parkfield B 7-0 in the League Trophy Cup, while the under-11s beat TFA Crouch End 5-2 in a league game.

AFCW under-15s also played three times over the last week, defeating LPOSSA 3-2 and then hammering Spartans 12-0 before completing an impressive hat-trick with a 4-2 success at CB Hounslow.

AFCW under-18s were also victorious, winning 5-2 at Ruislip Rangers, but there were defeats for the under-14s, who lost 7-1 at home to Princes Park, and the under-16s, who were edged out 3-2 at North Greenford.

Robert Graham continued his scoring streak with a brace to help Forest United under-16s overcome championship contenders Wealdstone 3-0.

Forest did well to close down their opponents in the early stages and Graham broke the deadlock midway through the first half, cutting in from the left and smashing his finish across the goalkeeper.

Although Forest pressed for a second goal, they were let down by poor finishing until just before half-time, when Miguel Freitas won possession and set up an easy second for the prolific DeAndre Johnson.

Stones raised their game after the break and they were only thwarted by a magnificent save from Forest keeper Montel Joseph, who dived low to his right and flicked the ball away.

Graham wrapped up the points for the Kenton club with his second goal, a somewhat fortunate effort from a free-kick.

Keiran Poorman netted a hat-trick for Forest’s under-16 C team as they returned to action with a 10-2 hammering of local rivals St Joseph’s B.

Corrie Williams opened the scoring for Forest and Noah Chambers doubled their lead before further pressure enabled Poorman to make it 3-0.

Goals in quick succession from Jean Luc Mutesa, Chambers and man of the match Aran Stynes put Forest six up at half-time, but St Joseph’s struck back with two goals after the break.

Chris Baruani netted Forest’s seventh goal and Poorman then converted two more opportunities to complete his treble before Baruani took his side into double figures with a penalty.

Goalkeeper Mailo Conceicao claimed his first clean sheet of the campaign as Gibbons Wreckers’ under-14s leapt to the top of the league with a 2-0 win at Mill Hill Village.

Shakyle Melford went close before GW opened the scoring on 10 minutes as Mohamed Miguil dribbled his way into the box, only to be brought down for a penalty that he took himself, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Ranny Dimampova was unlucky not to double his side’s advantage soon afterwards, heading narrowly wide from a Jack Davies free-kick.

Mill Hill threatened to equalise just before half-time when a ball over the top deceived the Wreckers’ defence, but Conceicao sped off his line to make a one-on-one save.

GW went 2-0 up soon after the restart as Dimampova’s corner was headed out to Liam Evans, who chested down and smashed in a volley from 18 yards.

Darren Corcoran, Jamal Ahmadzai, Ryan Stokes and man of the match Stefan Osei, who filled in at right wing-back, worked hard to ensure that Mill Hill were restricted to long-range attempts.

However, Conceicao was called into action again late in the game as he dived to make an excellent save from a Mill Hill free-kick that curled around the wall.

Hendon under-15s were no match for Eastern Junior Alliance title favourites Chelmsford City as they went down to a 6-0 defeat on Sunday.

The Greens, kicking into a strong wind in the first half, conceded three times – including a corner that swirled into the net – and, although they improved after the break, Chelmsford doubled their tally to seal a comfortable win.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times