Southern League Cup: Hitchin Town 2 Harrow Borough 2 (4-2 pens)

PUBLISHED: 08:50 07 September 2018 | UPDATED: 08:50 07 September 2018

Harrow Borough manager Steve Baker (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Harrow Borough manager Steve Baker (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Harrow had the majority of the possession in this lively and entertaining tie, but lost 4-2 on penalties.

Both teams took advantage of the fixture to give their squad players a run out, with Harrow fielding six of the players who started against Salisbury at the weekend, whilst Hitchin used only three of their starters against Banbury.

Harrow played only one striker, Anthony O`Connor, and supporters were wondering whether he would pose any threat up front.

The answer was that he fared pretty well, causing some problems for the Hitchin defence from the long balls upfield.

Harrow built up early pressure and George Moore was through on goal, but the ball ran away from him.

A minute later, he got away a shot that Josh Mollinson couldn`t keep hold of, but the keeper gathered the rebound before Harry Rush could get to it.

Harrow were also a threat from a pair of corners, but against the run of play, Hitchin took the lead on 11 minutes when a defender underhit a back pass to Keval Patel, who seemed to hesitate on whether to go for the ball and Isaac Galliford got there first, pushing the ball past Patel and scoring into the empty net.

The goal didn`t alter the pattern of play and Harrow continued to have most of the possession, forcing a succession of corners, one of which came from a Moore shot that was deflected wide.

In a breakaway, Hitchin`s Galliford got to the left byline and crossed, but the resulting shot from Charlie Thake was well saved by Patel, who then chased down another attacker as the ball ran out to the right. Frank Keita hit a fierce shot from the edge of the penalty area that was tipped over the bar by Mollison, but at the other end, Harrow nearly gave another goal away when Adam Richards underhit a back pass to Patel, but this time the keeper got to the ball at the same time as the Hitchin forward and blocked the shot.

O`Connor got clear of the Hitchin defence on the left and crossed into the penalty area, where there were several defenders, but not a single Harrow player.

The visitors finally got their equaliser on 39 minutes when a long ball was chased into the penalty area by Rush.

Mollinson got to the ball ahead of him, but fumbled it into a Hitchin defender, who tried to clear it but saw it bounce off another defender and, under pressure, O`Connor got to the ball first and stabbed it home.

There then followed a bizarre period of play as Three minutes after the Harrow equaliser, Charles got to the byline under pressure from Shaun Preddie, who tripped him as he went past him towards the goal and Danny Talbot scored from the spot.

A minute later, a long ball was chased by O`Connor to the right of the penalty area. Mollinson ran out in an attempt to get to the ball first and in the resulting clash, O`Connor let out a cry and went to ground.

Mr Burridge awarded another penalty, which Keita scored with confidence and there was still time in the first half for another Moore shot, which was pushed wide to O`Connor beyond the far post, but he was unable to return the ball.

Play in the second half was more even than the first, with entertaining, end-to-end football, but Harrow shading the share of possession.

They began with an impressive move, with the ball going from Michael Bryan to O`Connor to Moore and his shot was deflected for a corner.

In a rare foray forward, George Fenton clattered his way down the right wing and put in a good cross, which Rush was unable to reach.

A Hitchin forward was allowed to run in on goal straight from a throw in, but his shot went well over the bar. Moore`s best shot of the evening, from a Bryan pass, saw Mollinson make an excellent diving save. Hitchin nearly took the lead when a free kick ploy saw Charles run away from the group of players waiting for the cross at the far post, to receive the ball unmarked in the middle of the goal, but his shot was tipped wide by Patel, who also succeeded in clearing the resulting corner.

O`Connor was able to turn on the edge of the penalty area and get a shot away that was pushed out for a corner. Following a later, short corner the ball was crossed towards goal where Moore tried a neat flick that went just wide of the far post. Fenton came close to scoring when he headed a free kick just over the bar but as both managers made their substitutions, including the three Under023 newcomers at Harrow, the flow of the game was disrupted.

Hitchin’s Craig Packham found the net but was offside, while Harrow substitute Excellence Muhemba missed the best chance of the game in the last few minutes.

The ball reached him two yards out from the goal, just outside the far post, following Harrow pressure in the penalty area and he had time to turn and place the ball into the empty goal, but he chose to blast it and it went wide of the post.

And so it went to a shoot-out and both sides scored with their first two kicks – Bryan and Olanrewaju for Harrow.

Hitchin scored with their third, but Haugh`s kick hit the crossbar and when O`Connor hit a weak kick at Mollinson, the game was Hitchin`s.

Harrow: Patel, Moore, Haugh, Preddie, Richards (Olanrewaju, 73), Rush (Sowanola, 73), Keita (Muhemba, 65), McLeod, O’Connor, Bryan, Fenton. Unused subs: Cole, Al-Droubi.

Attendance: 119.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times