Southern League: Harrow Borough 1 Salisbury 1

PUBLISHED: 08:45 02 September 2018 | UPDATED: 08:45 02 September 2018

Harrow Borough manager Steve Baker (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Harrow Borough manager Steve Baker (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Harrow claimed a 91st-minute equaliser to earn a share of the Southern League spoils with Salisbury, a week after being stunned by a last-gasp Tiverton Town goal at The Roger Family Stadium.

And Salisbury will have returned to Wiltshire wondering how they didn’t take all three points, having dominated the game until its dying minutes.

Adam Richards came in for Shaun Preddie in the one change to the starting line-up from Monday’s fine win at Hendon.

After an even opening that featured a long-range Frank Keita effort wide of the mark, the visitors began to take control from around the 15th minute.

Hafed Al-Droubi had to tip away Whelan’s dangerous cross and Fitchett fired across the goal.

Hallett was out of his goal quickly to stop Anthony O’Connor moving onto Lewis Cole’s long ball downfield, and a great run forward by George Moore saw his final pass, to Keita, taken off the Borough player’s toe.

Sommerton’s deep cross was turned over the bar by the incoming Fitchett, heavily pressurised by Ryan Haugh, before a rapid Salisbury break saw Fitchett cross from the byline for Downing’s diving header, which came back off the post, with Haysham’s follow-up going over the bar.

The Wiltshire side then hit the woodwork for a second time when Whelan’s free-kick came back off the inside of the post.

Borough did threaten again late in the half, first when George Moore cut in from the right to hit a 25-yard drive which Hallett tipped over the bar, and then when Richards headed the ensuing corner on to Mitchal Gough, who glanced the ball wide.

When the second half began, an early Salisbury corner was met by a free header by Wannell, which flew narrowly over in a warning that Harrow were not to heed.

The classy Whelan was picking up the ball in midfield without being tracked by anyone in red, and much danger was resulting. His pass forward enabled Haysham to fire a shot that was well saved by Al-Droubi and Brown was narrowly wide with a chest-down and shot from 20 yards, before Cole turned onto O’Connor’s pass and fired past the upright.

But at the other end Sommerton’s shot was heading for the top corner until George Fenton bravely got his head in the way of it.

Moore shot over from 25 yards, and Young fired across the Harrow goalmouth before the Salisbury breakthrough came in the 72nd minute, when a deep corner from the right cleared the Harrow defence and was headed in at the far post by Wannell.

Gough made a fine tackle on the breaking Fitchett as Salisbury continued to dominate but, despite that, former Harrow player and now Salisbury manager Steve Claridge decided to substitute an attacker (Haysham) for an extra defender (Partridge), presumably to see out the win.

There were only seven minutes left but the move backfired as the initiative shifted to Harrow and, after a one-two with O’Connor, Ryan Moss brought a good save from Hallett.

With Michael Bryan off the bench to good effect, Harrow had sustained pressure for the first time in the afternoon, and with the game in stoppage time, Moss challenged for a ball in the air which broke to O’Connor, who lifted it to the far post where Haugh arrived as a raiding left-wing back to volley in the equaliser to scenes of great joy.

Harrow travel to Hornchurch, unbeaten in the Bostik Premier, in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup next weekend, but before that face a trip to Hitchin on Wednesday for a League Cup tie likely to feature many of squad players.

Harrow: Hafed Al-Droubi, George Moore, Ryan Haugh, George Fenton, Mitchal Gough, Adam Richards (Shaun Preddie 64), Frank Keita (Harry Rush 78), Bayley Brown, Ryan Moss, Lewis Cole (Michael Bryan 64), Anthony O’Connor. Unused sub: Lewis Everett.

Attendance: 223.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times