Harrow Borough 3 Wingate & Finchley 0: Boro sweep to success over Blues

PUBLISHED: 10:00 04 October 2017 | UPDATED: 11:36 04 October 2017

Adam Richards of Harrow Borough (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Adam Richards of Harrow Borough (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Bostik Premier: Harrow Borough 3 (Banya 12, Richards 45, Roberts 65) Wingate & Finchley 0

Harrow Borough returned to winning ways in the Bostik Premier with a comprehensive victory over Wingate & Finchley.

Boro almost took the lead after just nine seconds when Reis Stanislaus’ drive from the edge of the box was tipped over by Reuben Rabstein.

The hosts did take the lead in the 12th minute, though, when Charles Banya went past three defenders on a 30-yard run before hitting a rising drive from 12 yards.

Confidence oozed through the Harrow veins and they had a spell of sparkling football. Michael Bryan got to the right-hand by-line and chose to slide the ball square to Stainislaus at the near post when a pull-back to the incoming Kurtis Cumberbatch would have been a better bet.

Banya’s low free-kick was held by Rabstein, and the Harrow scorer was later relieved to see the assistant’s flag raised when he ran onto Cumberbatch’s through ball, only to miss the target.

Cumberbatch emerged from a challenge on the edge of the box to set up Roberts, whose curling effort went over.

Wingate ought to have levelled when Sean Cronin headed a corner to Ahmet Rifat who, leaning back, put his effort over.

That was to be costly as, in first-half stoppage-time, Harrow doubled their lead.

Banya found Roberts, whose shot from 12 yards took a deflection and brought an outstanding save from Rabstein.

The young Blues keeper, though, was at fault as he flapped at the ensuing Cumberbatch corner, swung into his near post.

Rabstein pushed the ball onto Adam Richards and watched in horror as it rebounded into the goal.

Melvin Minter saved a Rifat header early in the second half, and Reece Beckles-Richards’s shot was deflected just wide after a left-wing counter-attack.

Harrow killed the game with a 64th minute goal, when Banya drove forward on the right and twisted inside, drawing a defender, before squaring the ball to Roberts, who finished clinically for his first goal for the club.

Wingate kept trying and Richards made a brave header to clear Beckles-Richards’s shot, before Curtis Ujah made a good interception from Rob Laney’s effort.

Luke Ifil shot wide after a left-wing move, and Beckles-Richards cut inside to drive over the bar.

However, it was Harrow who finished in the ascendancy and could have scored a fourth.

Banya’s ambitious strike from outside the box went well over, before Stanislaus scuffed a shot wide.

Anthony O’Connor, through on goal thanks to Banya’s lovely pass, later pulled his shot wide of the target.

There was time for Rabstein to make another fine save, diving full-length to his left to deny Roberts, who’d been found by O’Connor’s cut-back from the left.

Harrow: Minter, Moore (Hall 70), Uade, Richards, Ujah, Preddie (McLeod 69), Bryan (O’Connor 77), Cumberbatch, Stanislaus, Banya, Roberts.

Unused subs: Pacquette, Cain.

Wingate: Rabstein, Williams, Mavila (Laney 65), Pearce, Cronin, Rifat (Tejan-Sie 83), Ifil, McCall (Sharpe 79), Charles-Smith, Beckles-Richards, Dickson.

Unused subs: Pattie, Eales.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times