Haringey Borough 1 Harrow Borough 0: Michael Ademiluyi goal the difference in FA Trophy ‘Battle of the Boroughs’

PUBLISHED: 09:00 31 October 2017 | UPDATED: 11:32 31 October 2017

Tony Loizou shows his delight during Haringey Borough's FA Cup game with Bideford (pic: Tony Gay).

Tony Loizou shows his delight during Haringey Borough's FA Cup game with Bideford (pic: Tony Gay).


FA Trophy first qualifying round replay: Haringey Borough 1 (Ademiluyi 26) Harrow Borough 0

Michael Ademiluyi scored in the first half to fire Haringey Borough past Harrow Borough and into the second qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

As in Saturday’s first game, Harrow only put their opponents under concerted pressure late on in the game, and it was then too little, too late.

Steve Baker made three changes to the starting line-up. Howard Hall came in for the unavailable Arinse Uade, while Will Turl and Bajram Pashaj dropped to the bench, replaced by Reis Stanislaus and Anthony O’Connor.

Early on Harrow seemed unsettled by the Coles Park surface as Haringey put them under pressure. The dangerous Ralston Gabriel, who seems to be suited to a level well above Bostik North, cut into the area on the left and shot past Melvin Minter, but an alert Adam Richards cleared off the line.

Richards then gave the ball away, and Hall rescued Harrow with a goal-line clearance to keep out McDonald. George Moore blocked an effort from the same player after Charles Banya was caught in possession by a home side that were hunting in packs and pressing the Harrow midfield at every opportunity. Harrow’s first serious effort was a curling Kurtis Cumberbatch free-kick that drifted just past the far post.

The goal that had been threatening came after 26 minutes. Haringey broke up the left, and a low cross found Ademiluyi, who spun away from his marker and found the bottom corner. Valery Pajetet in the home goal had to make his first save of the night, but it was an easy one as Banya’s shot lacked power, and the hosts were still in control. Gabriel ran at Richards and fired a shot across goal, before missing a golden chance to double the lead, curling a shot wide of goal when Michael Bryan’s awful back-pass had sent him clear.

At the other end, better work from Bryan led to a Banya shot blocked, but he had been fouled before getting his effort away. George Moore’s free-kick was fiercely struck, but blocked by the home wall: this particular free-kick variant, seen a few times recently, seems to be a case of hoping for a break in the wall: is that really going to happen very often? Jorge Djassi-Sambu headed a corner wide as the interval arrived with Harrow fortunate to be only one down, but still in the game.

Ademiluyi might have doubled the lead early in the second half, firing over after bursting into the box on the right, before Harrow’s best move of the evening ended with O’Connor’s deft header from Hall’s cross finding the net, but the assistant’s flag was raised and the ‘goal’ was disallowed. Gabriel was on target again for Haringey, his shot beating Minter but being cleared by Curtis Ujah.

There then came a worrying moment as the game was held up for ten minutes with what proved to be a fractured shoulder for Hall. The referee was excellent, supporting the medical staff in putting the player’s welfare first, even though he was only a couple of yards from the touchline, and the home crowd deserve great credit too for not putting the officials under any pressure to restart. Eventually the full-back was stretchered off, to warm applause all round, with an ambulance called and Hall, who was clearly in distress, put in sedation when it arrived. Mark McLeod came on in his stead and Pashaj replaced a disappointing Banya.

Minter saved at Gabriel’s feet but, as on Saturday, with the game now in the latter stages, Harrow at last began to have the upper hand. Bryan and O’Connor got the ball to Cumberbatch but his low shot was saved by Pajetat, who then made a brave dive at the feet of O’Connor, picking up an injury in the process and causing yet more stoppage time. Stanislaus had a shot blocked by the home defence and, with the game well into what proved to be 15 minutes of injury time, Richards’s powerful header from Cumberbatch’s corner was headed off the line by home skipper David Olufemi. Another Richards effort was deflected over the bar, Ujah moved to a striker’s role, and Minter came up for a late corner, but it was to no effect and it will be Haringey who’ll travel to either Sittingbourne or Merstham in the next round.

Haringey: Pajetet, Olufemi, O’Donoghue, Yiga, Mitchell, Gordon, Ademiluyi, Djassi-Sambu, Gabriel, Richards, McDonald (Heather 90).

Subs: Fenton, Coley, Benjamin, Byfield.

Harrow: Minter, Moore, Hall (McLeod 76), Richards, Ujah, Preddie, Banya (Pashaj 76), Cumberbatch, Stanislaus, Bryan, O’Connor.

Subs: Turl, Pacquette, Cain.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times