Hampton & Richmond Borough 1 Wealdstone 0: Stones lose out in Middlesex Senior Cup final

PUBLISHED: 13:00 26 July 2017

Wealdstone manager Gordon Bartlett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Wealdstone manager Gordon Bartlett (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Middlesex Senior Cup: Hampton & Richmond Borough 1 Wealdstone 0

Wealdstone suffered a 1-0 defeat at Hampton & Richmond Borough in the Middlesex Senior Cup Final.

The only goal of the game came from a combination of two of Hampton’s summer recruits, with Taurean Roberts crossing for Max Kretzschmar to glance a header over Jonathan North just before half time.

Despite the game being moved to pre-season, the game was anything but a friendly with Charlie Wassmer sent off for the hosts for an off-the-ball incident.

The game started evenly enough, but from the half hour mark the hosts took control.

Brendan Kiernan made a mazy run into the box, beating Josh Hill, before swerving a shot goalward, but North stopped it well.

Kretzschmar, who, ironically, won the Surrey Senior Cup with Woking just two months ago, almost opened the scoring with a double effort, firstly having a shot smartly parried by North, before he smashed the rebound into the side-netting.

In the 43rd minute, the Beavers made Wealdstone pay when Roberts robbed Ciaron Brown of the ball as he tried to shield it out of play and crossed for Kretzschmar, who arrowed a perfectly placed header over North and in.

Stones’ best chance of the game came early in the second half when, from a corner, Eddie Oshodi had his header deflected into the path of Dan Fitchett, but he fired an effort over.

Hampton should have put the game to bed on the hour mark when an incisive counter-attack saw the hosts four-against-one on the edge of the box,

Kiernan squared to Ryan Moss, but he was denied brilliantly by the on-rushing North.

In the 70th minute, Stones were given a lifeline when Wassmer kicked out at Hill right in front of the referee’s eyes, who then preceded to send off the defender.

But Hampton remained in control of the game and continued to have the better chances.

Sub Duncan Culley had a free kick deflected just wide and Christian Jolley saw an effort fizz across the face of goal, with Wealdstone sad to lose another County Cup final.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times