Greens are still in the Hunt for the FA Cup

PUBLISHED: 14:55 01 October 2008 | UPDATED: 13:22 24 August 2010

A GOAL from Harry Hunt 12 minutes from time kept Hendon's FA Cup hopes alive in a lively second qualifying round match against ten-man Dulwich Hamlet...

dulwich hamlet 2

hendon 2

by david Ballheimer

A GOAL from Harry Hunt 12 minutes from time kept Hendon's FA Cup hopes alive in a lively second qualifying round match against ten-man Dulwich Hamlet.

Ilness and injury had robbed the Greens of nine first-team players so debutant Glen Garner replaced James Busby, while Berkley Lawrencin, Rakatahr Hudson and Dave Diedhiou also returned to the starting line-up.

A poor opening 20 minutes saw Dulwich waste a couple of reasonable openings with some lamentable finishing, and Glen Garner fired wide at the other end.

The visitors took the lead after 23 minutes, Charlie Mapes delivering a corner which was headed out to the edge of the area, where Hudson drilled a ferocious shot into the roof of the net.

Almost immediately Hendon put together another good move, but Garner, with time to pick his spot, missed the target.

Danny Dyer, out of sorts on the left wing, cut into the middle after 34 minutes and fired an effort just over the bar, while Garner and Diedhiou also tested Jamie Lunan.

On 39 minutes Hamlet's Mohamed Coly made a rash challenge, earning himself a final warning, and just three minutes later he was late in the challenge again on Diedhiou and was dismissed for his second booking.

For all of Dulwich's effort and enterprise, they were unable to find the target as the game reached the three-quarter mark, but that all changed with the introduction of Gary Noel after 67 minutes.

Within 45 seconds, the substitute was clean through on goal. Lawrencin came off his line, but Noel took the ball around him and finished well from a tight angle for the equaliser.

And Hendon were behind just 90 seconds later as Lawrencin palmed the ball into the path of Marc Cumberbatch, who couldn't miss to put the hosts 2-1 in front.

In the 78th minute, Hendon drew level. Diedhiou fed the ball to Hunt 30 yards from goal, who worked a shooting angle and fired a low drive that cannoned off the foot off the upright and into the net.

Despite some panicky Hendon defending, it was at the other end where the late action came as Hudson headed just over, and Diedhiou's attempted volley spun wide.

The second qualifying round replay was due to take place last night. For details visit

Hendon: Lawrencin, K. Maclaren, Vargas, Hudson, Kirby, Bent, Dyer (Wilson, 78), Diedhiou, Hunt, Mapes, Garner (Guentchev, 70). Unused subs: Mansaray, Roache, Kalifa, Leach, Wilmot.

n HENDON Under-18s were also held to a 2-2 draw with Pitshanger on Sunday afternoon, despite leading twice.

Anthony Woodbridge put Hendon ahead after 15 minutes, but they were pegged back by an equaliser just two minutes before half-time. Five minutes after the restart, the Greens regained the lead, again through Woodbridge, but this time their advantage lasted only five minutes.

A long free-kick was delivered to the far post where three Pitshanger attackers were waiting. One got a touch to level matters at 2-2.

Their previous match against the same opposition had produced an 8-3 victory. Even more frustrating for the coaching team was the fact that the second equaliser was a carbon copy of two goals they had conceded in that earlier encounter.

Meanwhile an inexperienced Dons under-15s side were outmuscled in a physical encounter against Parkfield at Copthall Playing Fields, eventually going down to an enormous 13-1 defeat.

A beautiful chip from Ignacio Ezquerro reduced the deficit to 4-1 after 25 minutes, but the visitors added three more goals before the interval. In the second half Hendon contiuned to plug away but still conceded another six goals to go down heavily.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times