Gibbons Wreckers triumph is one to remember

PUBLISHED: 12:40 14 November 2012

Gibbons Wreckers u10s

Gibbons Wreckers u10s


Ehinor Oriakhi and Bradley Corcoran both netted twice as Gibbons Wreckers’ under-10s made it a memorable Remembrance Sunday by triumphing in a 12-goal thriller at LNER.

Sam Davies set up Oriakhi to open the scoring after five minutes, but GW heads dropped when LNER equalised soon afterwards – and two further goals gave the home side a 3-1 lead.

The Wreckers looked thoroughly subdued, but Oriakhi raised their spirits just before half-time as he collected a return pass from Corcoran to make it 3-2.

And the visitors looked a different side after the break as Roberto Esprit smashed in the equaliser after a solo run from defence and then Marty Corcoran set up Billy O’Hara for his first goal of the season.

O’Hara and Oriakhi were involved in the next two goals, both scored by Bradley Corcoran to give the Wreckers a 6-3 lead, while tough tackling from Daisy Cassidy in midfield helped them to preserve it.

But LNER pulled back two goals and were threatening an equaliser until Oriakhi set up birthday boy Kimani Rookwood to make it 7-5 and secure the points for Wreckers.

Wreckers under-14s’ Middlesex Cup run came to an end as they were eliminated in a penalty shoot-out following their 1-1 draw with Northwood.

Both teams struggled to create clear chances, with Jack Davies, Kane Clifford and the out-of-position Liam Evans impressing in a midfield battle before GW finally made the breakthrough after half an hour.

Jayden Hutchinson won possession and played in Shakyle Melford, who lifted the ball over the advancing goalkeeper and, despite being fouled, stayed on his feet to slot into the empty net.

Dejean Lionel, Jamal Ahmadzai and Krishna Gurung all performed well to repel attacks from an organised Northwood side.

But the GW boys began to tire late in the game and the visitors scrambled an equaliser with five minutes remaining.

Wreckers pressed for a winner in extra time and Melford netted from 15 yard, but the goal was ruled out for offside and the tie went to penalties.

Mohamed Miguil’s kick was saved and, although Evans and Shuaib Abdulahi both converted their penalties, Hutchinson’s effort hit the post, enabling Northwood to clinch a 4-2 shoot-out victory.

Hendon under-15s continued their recent improvement as they fought back from a goal down to beat Junior Bees 2-1 in the Middlesex Cup.

The Bees capitalised on a defensive lapse to take the lead against the run of play just before half-time.

But Hendon drew level when second-half substitute Markus Parsons raced onto a through ball, outpaced the defence and fired home via a deflection.

And the Greens went in front when Luke Yates won possession and played the ball wide to Rico Giovanelli, who delivered a cross to the far post and Louis Butler timed his run perfectly to meet it.

Parsons almost made certain of victory with a third goal in the closing stages, but his shot was saved by the Bees goalkeeper.

However, Hendon held on to make certain of a home tie in the last 16 against Hillingdon Borough.

Hanad Nur hit a hat-trick as AFC Wembley under-15s progressed in the Middlesex Cup with a 6-3 victory against Spartans.

Mohamed Abdulrahman added two goals, with Sellassie Beckford also on target, while AFCW under-16s were victorious in their tie, winning 2-0 at Hillingdon Abbots.

AFCW under-13s’ place in the next round was never in doubt as they thumped Edmonton Rangers 18-0, while Arron Hamilton hit four goals for the B team and Nia Andall, Hussain Madhi and Cameron Walker also scored in a 7-1 Harrow Youth League rout of Parkfield B.

The under-12s beat Rapid-Aid-Red 3-1 in the Middlesex Cup, with Jelani Inyama setting up Shakur Farah to open the scoring, then hitting the crossbar himself before the visitors levelled early in the second half.

AFCW weathered a spell of pressure before Richy Azowenu headed in Jaevon Braithwaite’s corner to make it 2-1 and Elijah Carter sped clear to add a third goal late on.

The under-12 B team eased to a comfortable 7-1 win at Springfield in the league, with Milan Sutherland and Keano Mason both netting braces and Cameron Harry, Daniel Coboc and George Ndoeka also on the scoresheet.

AFCW under-11s were held to a 2-2 draw by Ruislip Rangers, but the B team romped to a 12-1 win over TFA Crouch End. The under-10s went down 2-0 at TFA Totteridge, with the B team suffering a 4-0 defeat to Pinner United.

Jarad Joseph grabbed a second-half hat-trick as Forest United’s under-16 C team fought back to clinch a deserved 6-3 victory in their Division Three clash at AFC Wembley.

AFCW raced into a swift two-goal lead before Forest’s man of the match Jamal Yates burst through the centre and picked out Joseph, who was brought down in the penalty area.

Chris Baruani fired home the resulting spot-kick to make it 2-1 at half-time, but AFCW restored their two-goal cushion with a 20-yarder after the break.

Forest seized control, however, and produced some exhilarating football as Rafael Duarte pulled a goal back and Joseph then scored twice to edge them in front.

Michael Cooper’s superb header from a corner made it 5-3 and Joseph rounded off the scoring by completing his treble.

Anyone interested in joining Forest’s under-16 C team should call 0774 876 3217.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times