FA Trophy: Wealdstone crash out of the FA Trophy in the semi-final against Brackley Town

PUBLISHED: 17:01 24 March 2018 | UPDATED: 17:01 24 March 2018

Brackley Town's Shane Byrne scored the winner to knock Wealdstone out of the FA Trophy (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Brackley Town's Shane Byrne scored the winner to knock Wealdstone out of the FA Trophy (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

FA Trophy: Wealdstone 0 Brackley Town 2

Wealdstone’s dreams of Wembley have been crushed as they were knocked out of the FA Trophy by suffering a 3-0 defeat over the two legs to Brackley Town.

Two second-half goals from the Saints Shane Byrne and Aaron Williams meant they went marching on to the final of the competition with a 2-0 victory in the second leg at Grosvenor Vale.

The Stones went into the clash on the back foot as they trailed 1-0 after the first leg at St James Park last weekend.

Manager Bobby Wilkinson made just one change to his starting line-up from that defeat as Ricky Wellard dropped to the bench with Matthew Whichelow replacing him.

The first chance of the match fell to the visitors when James Armson created a few problems for the Stones defence, eventually breaking through, but Jerome Okimo scrambled the ball clear for a corner in the third minute.

Glenn Walker stepped up to take the corner and curled it in for captain Gareth Dean who headed it wide.

Five minutes later the hosts had a corner of their own that Edward Oshodi flicked on to Okimo, and his header beat keeper Danny Lewis, but was headed off the line.

Brackley then started to pile the pressure on the Stones and striker Lee Nolovu looked to set to break clear on goal in the 22nd minute after a poor clearance but Oshodi managed to dive in and put it out for a corner.

Walker put the resulting corner in and Williams somehow headed it over from close range.

The visitors Aaron Williams then got down the right flank and fired a shot from wide, with keeper Jonathan North thumbling it but managed to hold on and clear it down the pitch in the 32nd minute.

Shane Byrne was then next to go close for The Saints as he let a volley fly but sent it wide.

Stones keeper North then pulled off a great save as he done well to get his hands to the ball - despite a scramble in front as the shot came through from Williams after Alex Gudger’s header was blocked initially.

Against a run of the play the Stones won a free-kick in the 38th minute.

Jake Sheppard stepped up to take it and picked out Mustafa Tiryaki but it hit a Brackley defender and went out for a corner.

On the stroke of half-time Town had another chance as a deep cross from Walker found Ndlovu at the far post but he nodded it wide.

After a quiet first ten minutes in the second-half, Brackley were awarded a free-kick when Walker was brought down, and up stepped Shane Byrne who fired it into the back of the net from 25 yards to give his side a 0-1 lead.

Wilkinson made a triple substitution in the 60th minute and it seemed to give his men some life.

In the 63rd minute Ryan Sellers put in a deep cross that is headed out to Sheppard and he fired a shot across the face of goal and it just went wide.

Stones piling on the pressure in the 67th minute and Danny Green drove through the middle of the pitch and drilled a shot towards goal but keeper Lewis steered it wide for a corner.

Right-back Sheppard had a free-kick from inside his own half in the 76th minute and it managed to find its way through and bounced to Sellers on the left side of the box who fired an effort but it was blocked.

Brackley broke and Williams put his effort round North into the bottom corner to make it 0-2 in the 81st minute.

Wealdstone: North, Sheppard, Sellers, Wilson (Goodger 60), Oshodi, Okimo, Whichelow, Cox, Tiryaki (Wellard 60), Green, Bubb (Fitchett 60)

Unused subs: Constable and Olomowewe.

Brackley Town: Lewis, Myles, Gudger, Byrne, Graham, Dean, Walker, Armson, Nolovu (Lowe 79), Williams, Walker.

Unused subs: Streete, Diggin, Lucas, Oti.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times