FA Trophy: Late penalty earns Harrow Borough replay against Haringey Borough in battle of Borough’s

PUBLISHED: 11:00 29 October 2017

Harrow Borough players shake hands with their Haringey Borough opponents (pic: George Sessions).

Harrow Borough players shake hands with their Haringey Borough opponents (pic: George Sessions).


FA Trophy first qualifying round: Harrow Borough 1 Haringey Borough 1

Haringey Borough were denied an FA Trophy upset by a late penalty during their clash at Harrow Borough on Saturday afternoon.

The game at Earlsmead Stadium was the battle of the Borough’s with both sides keen for a positive result for different reasons.

Bostik Premier Harrow were coming into the contest off the back of a 2-1 loss at home to Brightlingsea Regent last time out.

Meanwhile Haringey, after their historic FA Cup exploits, were looking to show yet again they can compete against high level opposition.

It was the Bostik North outfit who made the brighter start, as they won two corners inside the opening three minutes.

Tom Loizou’s Haringey were unable to do much with either though, as both sides spent the first 10 minutes eyeing each other up.

Harrow’s first effort of note occurred in the eighth minute when a Charles Banya free kick had Valery Pajetet scrambling.

Fortunately for the goalkeeper, the set-piece sailed over the crossbar and Haringey could take a moment to regroup.

After a slow start, Steve Baker’s team started to grow into the contest and produced a neat move in the 13th minute.

A short free kick saw Michael Bryan get in down the right and cross in for Will Turl, but his poked effort went harmlessly into the side netting.

The two sides, separated by just a division, continued to compete evenly in the sun at Earlsmead.

Slowly, but surely an edge was developing in the game and the first yellow went to Ruaridh Kay for trying, yet failing, to bring down Shaun Preddie.

Preddie was dominating in the middle at this point and enabling Harrow to impose themselves on the Coles Park club.

Bryan and Banya were causing Haringey problems, but the hosts were lacking some quality in the final third.

A delay midway through the half helped the visitors re-establish themselves in the contest in North West London.

Lawrence Yiga needed some treatment, but was fine to carry on and slowly Loizou’s team started to cause Harrow problems.

Good play by Michael O’Donoghue and Ralston Gabriel saw Anthony McDonald set up Joe Benjamin, but Curtis Ujah made a fine block to deflect his effort wide.

Baker sensed Haringey had upped the ante and called on his side to raise their game, but they failed to heed his warning.

Ujah was required again six minutes from half time when Gabriel cut inside and let fly, but the Reds number five managed to deflect his strike away from Melvin Minter’s goal.

Despite Haringey now getting on top, Harrow wasted a great chance to take the lead in the 42nd minute.

A Bajram Pashaj free kick found Ujah, unmarked and 10-yards-out, but he headed over and it remained goalless.

It seemed, at this point, that the first half would end without a goal, but Haringey had other ideas.

McDonald curled a free kick towards the Harrow goal in the 44th minute and Kay wonderfully back heeled into Gabriel’s path, and he controlled before drilling in the corner to open the scoring.

After finishing the first half strongly, it was a deserved goal for Haringey and they came in ahead at the break.

The visitors then started the second period strongly and O’Donoghue got forward well again before cutting back to Gabriel.

Gabriel took too long and saw his shot blocked, so he set up Kay, but he could only blast way over.

Haringey sensed they could get at Harrow and continued to push for a second and very nearly got it in the 48th minute.

David Olufemi got in behind the home back four and let fly from 12-yards, but Minter made a superb one-handed save.

The Harrow goalkeeper was called into action again four minutes later when McDonald tried his luck from range and saw his shot parried wide.

Finally the Reds clicked into gear though, and Ujah played in Banya and his threatening centre was cleared.

An error by Pajetet then handed Harrow a great chance to equalise as the away goalkeeper came for a free kick, but punched it outside the area.

The Reds were awarded a set-piece 20-yards-out, but Pashaj’s shot was blocked before Banya’s follow-up cross was defended well by Haringey.

Both sides made changes after with the ineffective Turl coming off and being replaced by Reis Stanislaus.

Loizou responded by bringing on Kai Heather for Benjamin and it nearly paid off straight away.

Heather put Gabriel through on the right, but the forward’s composure deserted him and he smashed way over when well placed.

With time running out, Harrow pushed for an equaliser, but in the process were leaving gaps at the back.

A ball forward saw the dangerous Gabriel get a yard of space and his volley was superbly pushed over by Minter in the 72nd minute.

Seconds later and the tension boiled over when Heather caught George Moore late near the home dug-out.

Both sets of players clashed afterwards and needed to be pulled apart by their backroom staff.

Bizarrely, referee Craig Barnett did nothing to defuse the situation and instead just decided to stand back and let the pushing and shoving play out.

Eventually the situation ended and Heather was shown a yellow before the man in the middle spent over a minute talking to Gabriel.

Four minutes after the original challenge and play finally resumed and Harrow went so close to a leveller.

Bryan was involved, having been at the heart of most good things from the hosts, and his chipped cross looked set to be headed in before Jorge Dtassi-Sambu bravely headed away from goal.

The Reds kept the ball alive and it was eventually cut back for Preddie, but he side footed well wide.

Pajetet was tested nine minutes from time when Stanislaus come inside and let fly from 25-yards, but the Haringey goalkeeper acrobatically saved.

With the pressure building, a mistake by Minter nearly saw the game decided, but Gabriel volleyed way over following Heather’s impressive chip.

And then saw the key passage of play as the visitors squandered an excellent change to wrap up the contest.

Good pressure by substitute Michael Ademiluyi saw Minter give the ball away and Heather nipped in ahead of Preddie.

He picked out Gabriel in the area, but the forward tried to round the Harrow goalkeeper when a first time finish may have been better.

Minter managed to win the ball back and get the hosts back on the front foot and seconds later they won a penalty.

Byran latched onto a flick and cut back inside the area and went down under the challenge from Rakim Richards.

Referee Barnett pointed to the spot and Kurtis Cumberbatch coolly slotted home to level the scores in the 90th minute.

Five minutes of additional time were added on, but the two teams couldn’t find a late winner and will have to do battle again on Monday night at Coles Park.

Harrow Borough: Minter; Moore, Ujah, Richards, Uade; Bryan, Preddie, Cumberbatch, Pashaj (O’Connor 68); Turl (Stanislaus 63), Banya.

Unused substitutes: McLeod, Cain, Hall.

Haringey Borough: Pajetet; Richards, Yiga, Mitchell; Olufemi, Kay, Sambu, O’Donoghue; Gabriel, Benjamin (Heather 64), McDonald (Ademiluyi 82).

Unused substitutes: Fenton, Coley, Byfield.

Attendance: 103

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times